Not many horses pass Sweet Return when he's leading in the stretch and none were up to the task in the $400,000 Eddie Read Handicap (gr. IT) on the Del Mar turf Sunday.
A Bit O'Gold, last year's champion 3-year-old male in Canada, carried top weight of 124 pounds to victory in Sunday's $345,600 Chinese Cultural Centre Stakes (Can-II) on the Woodbine turf.
Keep the Faith, a 5-year-old horse from Australia, set a North American record and shattered the Widener Turf Course record by winning the 6-furlong seventh race in 1:06.82 on closing day of the Belmont Park spring meeting Sunday.
Z W P Stable's Cherokee's Boy took command from the start in winning the $150,000 Salvator Mile (gr. III) at Monmouth Park on Sunday by 1 1/4 lengths.
Coming off the worst race of his career, Robert Bone's Choctaw Nation displayed all of his old late charge to annihilate the field in the $250,000 San Diego Handicap (gr. II) Sunday for his second straight victory in the stakes at Del Mar.
Jeune Homme, leading sire in Chile in 2004, is to stand permanently in South Africa next year at Arrowhead Stud, which purchased the 16-year-old son of Nureyev.
- By Tom LaMarra
John Roark of Texas was elected to his third consecutive term as president of the National Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association July 24 after the organization's board of directors approved a major restructuring plan.
Horse of the Year Point Given came through with his first winner when his daughter Claremont won July 23 at Arlington Park for owner Tracy Farmer.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Hill 'n' Dale Acquires Half Interest in Bubbler
- Industry Groups Ask for Change in Parx Oaks Ruling
- Date Set for 2017 Maryland Million Day
- 'Free Fridays' at National Museum of Racing
- Ward Pleased With Stable's Royal Ascot Performance
- F-T Saratoga Offering 12 From Scat Daddy's Last Crop
- Arrogate Breezes at Santa Anita
- Irap Gets Best of Girvin in Ohio Derby
- Quality Over Quantity in Fasig-Tipton Saratoga Catalog
- Street Surrender, Roman Secure First Stakes Win