The third largest crowd in Del Mar history, 40,046, saw Becrux and El Roblar win divisions of the featured Oceanside Stakes Wednesday, opening day of the seaside track's 43-day summer meeting.
Unbeaten Purim, 2 1/2-length winner of the Arlington Classic (gr. IIIT) July 2, puts his three-race win streak on the line against seven rivals in the $250,000 American Derby (gr. IIT) for 3-year-olds on the Arlington Park turf Saturday.
Trainer Bobby Frankel, second only to Todd Pletcher in 2005 earnings through last weekend with more than $7.5 million, has sent a division of his stable to Monmouth Park for the first time.
David A. Smukler has been named senior vice president of human resources and labor relations for the New York Racing Association.
Hill 'n' Dale announced Wednesday that the farm has purchased a majority interest in Lady Tak, a multiple grade I-winning 5-year-old mare from Bill and Corinne Heiligbrodt.
Kentucky's blue ribbon panel on jockey compensation insurance formed subcommittees Wednesday to explore two different routes for jockey insurance coverage: a worker's compensation model and an accident health policy.
The Thoroughbred Charities of America is planning a charity golf tournament Aug. 16 at Saratoga National Golf Club in Saratoga Springs, N.Y. The tournament will follow the same "horse race" format from last year's event.
- By Tom LaMarra
The rebuilding of Gulfstream Park is well under way and, according to Magna Entertainment Corp. officials, the facility will be ready when the next live meet begins the first week of January 2006.
Mike Willman has been appointed as director of publicity at Santa Anita Park.
The Fasig-Tipton July sale Monday and Tuesday offered public-auction buyers the first opportunity to acquire yearlings of stallions represented by their first crops.
- By Ron Mitchell
An anonymous bidder went to $60,000 Wednesday to acquire the 14 karat gold trophy won by Majestic Prince in the 1969 Kentucky Derby.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out
- Record Tiznow Colt Lives Up to Expectations
- Animal Kingdom's First N. Hemisphere Starter Wins Big
- Tiznow Colt Brings $2.45 Million at OBS
- Strong Gains at OBS Session Led by Record Tiznow Colt
- Derby, Oaks Notes from Churchill Downs, April 27
- Santa Anita Officials Confident Future Cards Will Fill
- Paradise Woods Records Final Work for Kentucky Oaks
- Sharp: Girvin Still on Track for Kentucky Derby
- Pletcher Considering Royal Ascot for American Patriot