An increase in stallion nomination fees, beginning with the 2006 breeding season, would ultimately result in a substantial purse increase for the 2008 Breeders' Cup World Thoroughbred Championships, said Pam Blatz-Murff, executive vice president of Breeders' Cup Operations and Racing and Nominations Committee chair.
- By Tom LaMarra
Two major horsemen's groups in key racing states are reassessing their membership in the National Thoroughbred Racing Association, officials said. Meanwhile, some non-members are at least considering rejoining the organization pending review of the new NTRA strategic plan.
The NTRA Jockey Accident Insurance Working Group, in a report that appears mostly advisory in nature, has suggested all segments of the racing industry, including jockeys, help pay for additional insurance coverage for riders.
- By Tom LaMarra
Just days after the National Thoroughbred Racing Association said it would make the creation of an Office of Wagering Security a priority, officials indicated there could be conflict over who would run the office, as well as questions about its autonomy.
Belmont Park announced today a presenting sponsor for this year's Belmont Stakes (gr. I).
The Nick Zito-trained pair of High Fly and Noble Causeway, the one-two finishers in the Florida Derby (gr. I), breezed five furlongs at Churchill Downs Friday, although Zito said both colts actually worked six furlongs after breaking off between poles. Also on the work tab Friday was Illinois Derby (gr. II) winner Greeley's Galaxy.
Bank Audit will be looking to keep her two-race win streak in tact when she takes the gate for Saturday's $150,000 Bed o' Roses Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. III) at Aqueduct.
Robert W. "Bobby" Jeans, who was the groom for the great Buckpasser and other top runners for Hall of Fame trainer Eddie Neloy, died April 15 of natural causes.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out
- Record Tiznow Colt Lives Up to Expectations
- Animal Kingdom's First N. Hemisphere Starter Wins Big
- Tiznow Colt Brings $2.45 Million at OBS
- Strong Gains at OBS Session Led by Record Tiznow Colt
- Derby, Oaks Notes from Churchill Downs, April 27
- Santa Anita Officials Confident Future Cards Will Fill
- Paradise Woods Records Final Work for Kentucky Oaks
- Sharp: Girvin Still on Track for Kentucky Derby
- Pletcher Considering Royal Ascot for American Patriot