Michael Bello's British-bred Megahertz won the $200,000 Santa Barbara Handicap (gr. IIT) for fillies and mares for the third straight time much as she pleased Sunday at Santa Anita Park. And increasingly, that means coming from far back.
Keeneland set a single-day mark for on-track handle when a record crowd wagered $3,599,648 on Saturday's Toyota Blue Grass Stakes (gr. I) program.
Laurel Park's 15-week winter meet ended Sunday with jockey Eric Camacho, trainer Kenny Cox, and owner Michael Gill winning individual titles.
Grade I winner Intercontinental was a little headstrong in her first start of the year, but she got the job done under Jerry Bailey to register a repeat victory in the $200,000 Jenny Wiley (gr. IIIT) Sunday at Keeneland.
Santa Anita Park's 70th anniversary season concludes Monday with the $100,000-added San Simeon Handicap (gr. IIT) highlighting the finale of the 85-day winter/spring meeting.
Afleet Alex gave Oaklawn Park its second major contender for the Kentucky Derby (gr. I) in as many years with his smashing win Saturday in the Arkansas Derby (gr. II).
Trainer Bobby Frankel was keeping a close eye Sunday morning on Cajun Beat, who suffered a career threatening ankle injury when he finished last of six horses in Keeneland's Commonwealth Breeders' Cup (gr. II) Saturday.
As many as five colts who raced in Saturday's Toyota Blue Grass (gr. I) may return in the Kentucky Derby (gr. I), to be run May 7 at Churchill Downs.
Award-winning television producer Dan Noel, who was director of broadcast operations for rival TVG, has joined HorseRacing TV's production team and will focus on the day-to-day live operation of the 24-hour television network, it was announced Sunday.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Always Dreaming Officially Ruled Out of Belmont Stakes
- Zayat Pinhooking Venture Returns Large Profit
- Graded Stakes Winner Destin Set for 2017 Debut
- Weekend Stakes Rundown: Gold Cup Day
- Champion Songbird Confirmed for Ogden Phipps
- Classic Empire to Begin Belmont Training
- Familiar Faces Highlight New York Showcase
- Litfin: Gold Cup Figures to Set up Well for Accelerate
- Epicharis Begins Journey to Belmont Park
- Hong Kong Champion Able Friend Retired