Roman Ruler, who worked six furlongs from the gate in a swift 1:11 2/5 on Sunday morning, will have Hall of Fame jockey Jerry Bailey aboard for his 3-year-old debut Feb. 13 in the $150,000 San Vicente (gr. II), trainer Bob Baffert said.
A total of 358 3-year-olds have been nominated for the 2005 Visa Triple Crown. Although the figure is down from the 400-plus nominations in each of the previous four years, it will be of little significance once the multitude of talented 3-year-olds start making their way toward the May 7 Kentucky Derby (gr. I).
Returning to the scene of his lone United States victory, lightly raced Lundy's Liability registered a smart win over Truly a Judge in the San Antonio Handicap (gr. II) at Santa Anita Park Sunday.
In a non-binding referendum, voters in Pflugerville, Texas, Saturday overwhelmingly opposed a proposal for relocating the Austin Jockey Club's license to the central Texas town.
With horses breezing into a stiff headwind that didn't let up, the times slowed down Sunday at Calder Race Course during the second and final under tack show for the Ocala Breeders' Sales Co.'s select sale of 2-year-olds in training.
The first foal sired by grade II winner Dream Run is a colt born Jan. 22 at Lewis and Brenda Lakin and Becky Thomas' Lakland North near Hudson, N.Y.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Annals of Time Surges to Win Hollywood Derby
- California Chrome Logs Work for 'Challenge'
- 'Chance' First Black-Type Winner for Skipshot
- Arrogate-'Chrome' Match Race in Pegasus?
- Changing Schedules Impacted Wood, Blue Grass
- Departing Retired to Claiborne Farm
- Blue Grass, Wood Memorial Downgraded
- Vale Dori Impressive in Bayakoa Victory
- Half Dome Dude Sets Remington Track Record
- Sandford, Owner of Take Charge Indy, Dies