Santa Anita's leading trainer Doug O'Neill won his seventh stakes of the meeting Sunday when Grand Appointment took the $137,875 Sensational Star Handicap for older horses bred in California.
Storm's Darling made amends for a subpar performance last month by rallying to her first career stakes victory in the $75,000 Chou Croute Handicap Sunday at Fair Grounds Race Course.
Ray Sibille, who rode 4,264 winners in a 35-year career before his retirement last July, is the winner of the 2005 George Woolf Memorial Jockey Award, Santa Anita Park announced Sunday.
Kim N. Hart, president and CEO of Horsepower® Broadcasting Network International Ltd., died recently at his home near Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
Rockport Harbor, unbeaten in four starts and the future book favorite for the Kentucky Derby (gr. I), is being treated for a bruised left front foot, leaving his planned start in the $250,000 Rebel Stakes (gr. III) March 19 on hold.
A top prize of $250,000 and a stable of Thoroughbreds will be on the line in the live finale of GSN's reality TV show, "American Dream Derby" at Santa Anita Park on Monday, Presidents' Day.
Juddmonte Farms' Intercontinental, winner of the Nov. 28 Matriarch (gr. IT) at Hollywood Park in her last start of 2004, is scheduled to make her 2005 debut for trainer Bobby Fankel in Monday's $150,000 Buena Vista Handicap (gr. IIT) at Santa Anita.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Arrogate 'His Usual Self' in Five-Furlong Move
- Under Agreement, Trainer Umarov Suspended Five Years
- One Liner Laughs Last in Southwest Stakes Victory
- Gun Runner Rolls to Razorback Handicap Victory
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - February 21, 2017
- Classic Empire, McCraken Individual Favorites in Pool 3
- Guest Suite Fires Bullet in Preparation for Risen Star
- Lucky Pulpit, Sire of 'Chrome', Dies of a Heart Attack