Odds-on choice Real Dandy, ridden patiently by Luis Quinonez, swept past his rivals while five wide in the stretch to record a 2 3/4-length victory in the $107,600 Zia Park Derby Saturday in Hobbs, N.M.
Michael C. Byrne, chairman of the Jockey Club of Canada from 1995 to 2005, has been named this year's E.P.Taylor Award of Merit winner.
Miss Concerto pulled a 30-1 upset in Saturday's $179,350 Bessarabian Stakes (Can-III) at Woodbine.
Beulah Park Racetrack has created a memorial fund for jockey Joshua Radosevich, who died in a race on Nov. 16.
Razor sharp Bordonaro sped to the front for jockey Patrick Valenzuela shortly after the start of the $100,000 Vernon O. Underwood (gr. III) and drew away for a three-length victory in his first graded stakes race Saturday at Hollywood Park.
Favored Silver Tree, with Jerry Bailey working hard for the wire, found the winner's circle for the first time in 2005, making up two lengths on 40-1 shot Demeteor in the final furlong to capture the $100,00 Tropical Turf Handicap. (gr. IIIT) on the Calder turf course Saturday.
Snowdrops captured Saturday's $100,000 My Charmer Handicap (gr. IIIT) on the Calder turf with a well-timed late surge for jockey Brice Blanc, kicking off Grand Slam I with a slight upset.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Departing Retired to Claiborne Farm
- Arrogate-'Chrome' Match Race in Pegasus?
- Blue Grass, Wood Memorial Downgraded
- Sandford, Owner of Take Charge Indy, Dies
- Cathryn Sophia to Pioneerof the Nile in 2017
- Jose Ortiz Rides Five Winners at Aqueduct
- Arrogate Returns to Work Tab
- Gulfstream Set for Historic Championship Meet
- Doctor J Dub Breakthrough Horse for Antonucci
- Motion Hopes to Stay Hot in Matriarch