Fourteen horses are entered for the $250,000 Malibu Stakes (gr. I) for 3-year-olds Monday, the headline race on opening day of Santa Anita's 71st winter/spring meeting.
Santa Anita Park will launch the Allan Malamud Memorial Handicapping Award on its opening day Dec. 26. The award is named in honor of the late Allan Malamud, who passed away in September of 1996.
Apprentice rider Rosie Napravnik, who was leading the Laurel Park jockey standings when she fractured her left collarbone in a spill on Nov. 12, is to make her return Monday.
After winning all her preliminary bouts, Celestial Legend goes into the main event as the overwhelming 7-5 morning line choice to win the $75,000 Maryland Juvenile Filly Championship, scheduled as the sixth race on Monday at Laurel Park.
Bay Meadows opens its new 31-day "Holiday Meet" on Monday. The short stand, which resulted as part of a dates swap in 2006 with Golden Gate Fields, runs through Super Bowl Sunday on Feb. 5.
Racing resumed Thursday at the Fair Grounds meet at Harrah's Louisiana Downs, and that meant business as usual for the Cole Norman stable – sort of.
The Lone Star Park Handicap received a $100,000 boost to $400,000 and the $200,000 Dallas Turf Cup Handicap was elevated to grade III status for 2006, two highlights on Lone Star Park at Grand Prairie's 37-race, $3.83 million spring Thoroughbred season stakes schedule that was announced Friday.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Louis Quatorze Dies of Heart Attack
- Uncontested to Skip Rebel Stakes
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- El Areeb Confirmed to Start in Gotham Stakes
- Mo Town, Guest Suite Set for Risen Star Showdown
- Arrogate 'His Usual Self' in Five-Furlong Move
- Mind Your Biscuits Set for Gulfstream Park Sprint
- International Star Could Add to Fair Grounds Success
- Grade 1 Haskell Headlines Monmouth Stakes Schedule