Accomplishments for the 11 2-year-old fillies in Sunday's $447,000 Hollywood Starlet (gr. I) were few even if several appeared to have big potential. The winner, 39-1 outsider Diplomat Lady, trounced by Wild Fit in the Del Mar Debutante (gr. I) in August, wasn't thought to be one of them.
Team Valor Stables' Onthedeanslist set the pace, then held off the charge of odds-on favorite Fort Prado to capture the $75,000 Col. E.R. Bradley Handicap for older turf horses Sunday at the Fair Grounds meet at Harrah's Louisiana Downs.
Danny A. Limongelli's Banjo Picker, dismissed at odds of 47-1 though he had won four of nine starts this year, won the $112,000 Gravesend Handicap (gr. III) at Aqueduct in an exciting three-horse photo finish Sunday.
For the second consecutive day, chilly temperatures have caused a freezing of the racing surface at Portland Meadows Sunday. Racing officials at the Delta Park oval determined it unsafe for racing and canceled the live card.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Cupid Returns From Layoff to Win Gold Cup
- Lady Eli Digs in to Win Gamely
- Always Dreaming Officially Ruled Out of Belmont Stakes
- Rubilinda Impresses as Frankel’s First US Winner
- Starship Jubilee Much the Best in Nassau Stakes
- Irish War Cry Returns to Worktab; Belmont Run Possible
- Tapwrit Works Towards Belmont; True Timber Confirmed
- Churchill Completes Rare Guineas Double
- Well-Placed Illuminant Shines in Monrovia
- Gormley Works for Possible Belmont Start