Eastern Sand, the 1-2 favorite in Saturday's $100,000 Silky Sullivan Handicap (gr. IIIT) for 3-year-olds, needed every step of the 1 1/8-mile distance, getting to the wire first in his final lunge to defeat Mr. Splash by a head at Golden Gate Fields.
The grade I winner Mea Domina was being aimed at the Hollywood Park Autumn Turf Festival, but that track's problems with its course forced trainer Ron McAnally to call an audible. In one of the last chances for grass racing in Southern California until the end of the year, Mea Domina went gate-to-wire under Tyler Baze Saturday to win the Las Palmas Handicap (gr. IIT) at the Oak Tree meeting at Santa Anita.
Marablue Farm's Bon Fleur took the lead with an inside move on the final run down the backstretch and stayed there to win the $100,000 AFLAC U.S. Championship Novice hurdle stakes (NSA-I) at the Callaway Gardens Steeplechase Saturday.
Rafael Bejarano brought overlooked Catcominatcha through heavy traffic to prevail over a game High Cotton by a neck in the $116,700 Iroquois (gr. III) for 2-year-olds going a mile Saturday at Churchill Downs.
Favored French Park jumped from the maiden ranks to graded stakes winner with a sharp 1 3/4-length triumph over a full field in the $120,600 Pocahontas (gr. III) for 2-year-old fillies at Churchill Downs Saturday.
Prince Faisal Salman's Olaya charged home along the inside to catch Spotlight in the final yards to win the $150,000 Long Island Handicap (gr. IIT) in her United States debut on the Aqueduct turf Saturday.
Indian Vale's chances to win her first graded stakes race were improved dramatically with the scratches of Shebelongstoyou and Personal Legend and the Melnyk Racing Stables homebred took full advantage to capture the $105,800 Turnback the Alarm Handicap (gr. III) by 9 1/2 lengths Saturday at Aqueduct.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out
- Record Tiznow Colt Lives Up to Expectations
- Animal Kingdom's First N. Hemisphere Starter Wins Big
- Tiznow Colt Brings $2.45 Million at OBS
- Strong Gains at OBS Session Led by Record Tiznow Colt
- Derby, Oaks Notes from Churchill Downs, April 27
- Sharp: Girvin Still on Track for Kentucky Derby
- Santa Anita Officials Confident Future Cards Will Fill
- Paradise Woods Records Final Work for Kentucky Oaks
- Pletcher Considering Royal Ascot for American Patriot