John Murphy Sr.'s frontrunner Trickle of Gold turned on the afterburners and sped away to a three-length triumph in the $131,500 Safely Kept Breeders' Cup (gr. III) for 3-year-old fillies Sunday at Laurel Park.
William S. Farish's homebred filly Reunited, teamed again with Robby Albarado, overtook the faltering pacesetter Forest Music in the final 100 yards and staved off the charging outsider Miss Terrible by a head to win the $300,000 Thoroughbred Club of America Stakes (gr. III) at Keeneland Sunday.
Grade I winner Island Sand, likely for the $2 million Emirates Airline Breeders' Cup Distaff (gr. I), breezed five furlongs over Belmont's fast main track Sunday morning in 1:01 3/5. Among the other workers at Belmont were Breeders' Cup contenders Artie Schiller and Happy Ticket.
More than 21 years after he won the 1984 Kentucky Derby aboard Swale, the whip Laffit Pincay Jr. used in registering his only victory in the Run for the Roses was returned to him.
Michael Wrona will fill in for Trevor Denman as the Oak Tree Racing Association's track announcer at Santa Anita Park Oct. 28-29. Denman will be in New York, fulfilling a network television commitment on NBC with the Breeders' Cup World Thoroughbred Championships.
Schoolin You pulled out a dramatic win at the wire in the $100,000 Gottstein Futurity at Emerald Downs Saturday evening, giving the gelding back-to-back stakes victory.
Should Japan owner Shunsuke Yoshida accept the challenge of running Eye Popper in the Melbourne Cup (Aust-I), he should be assured of a greater representation from his country's media at Flemington Nov. 1 than witnessed the horse's grand Caulfield Cup (Aust-I) second Oct. 15.
Leading Australian horse Mummify was euthanized Oct. 16, less than a day after his career-ending third when attempting to repeat his 2003 Caulfield Cup (Aust-I) success.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Stormin Fever Euthanized at 23
- Undefeated Caravaggio Shines in Commonwealth Cup
- Casse Duo Set for Queen's Plate Run
- Neolithic Back Galloping After Respiratory Illness
- Kentucky Derby Starters Reunite in Ohio Derby
- The Stronach Group Considers New England Venture
- Litfin at Large: Class Horses Figure in Ohio Derby
- Untrapped Aims for First Stakes win in Ohio Derby
- Disco Rico and His Record-Setting Son Disco Partner
- The Player to Return on Churchill's Closing Night