In his first start since the Breeders' Cup Sprint (gr. I), the odds-on favorite Gold Storm took over at the quarter pole and won the $58,200 Colonel Power Handicap at foggy Fair Grounds Sunday with plenty to spare.
Trainer Lynne Scace made three trips to the Tampa Bay Downs winners' circle on Sunday.
Unrelenting rain forced Santa Anita Park to abandon racing Sunday after the first race, the first such cancellation at the Southern California track in 10 years.
Trainer Vladimir Cerin said Sunday that his recent winner She's a Jewel is headed to the $250,000 Sunshine Millions Oaks on Jan. 29.
Laurel Park's new dirt track opened for training Sunday and about 140 horses took the opportunity to test the new surface. Twenty-two official workouts were recorded.
This time last year, the owners of Magic Millions were doing cartwheels as records were being broken left, right, and center. No-one actually saw it, but rumor has it those same owners were down on their hands and knees giving thanks this year as day four of the Conrad Jupiters Magic Millions yearling sale on the Gold Coast in Australia concluded Jan. 9.
Announce, Indiana's leading sire of 2004, has been moved to Firal Ryder's Ryder's River Ridge Farm near Natchitoches, La.
Mr. Greeley, who stands at Spendthrift Farm near Lexington, has undergone a stud fee change from $50,000 to $35,000.
Robert N. Clay's Three Chimneys Farm announced the arrival of Sky Mesa's first foal, a bay colt out of Star of Africa, by Polish Precedent, born Jan. 5 at Darby Dan Farm near Lexington.
Henry White was not the breeder of record for any of the eight Breeders' Cup World Thoroughbred Championship winners in 2004, but he received the biggest ovation when the winning breeders were honored at an annual awards dinner Saturday at Keeneland.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Cloud Computing Leaves Pimlico, Others Thinking Belmont
- Cloud Computing Wears Down Classic Empire in Preakness
- Agent Ryan Not Surprised by Cloud Computing's Win
- Trainer Richie Scherer Dies at Age 53
- Hips to Watch: Day 1 Fasig-Tipton Midlantic Sale
- Soul Stirring Frankel's First Classic Winner
- Preakness Wrapup: Clouds Got in the Way
- La Coronel Prepares for Royal Ascot Run
- Actress Announces Presence in Black-Eyed Susan
- Grizzel Edges Enstone in Selene Stakes