Lunarpal, ridden by Shane Sellers, remained unbeaten in four starts as he survived a race-long duel with Storm Surge to prevail by a neck in Monday's 103rd running of the $163,200 Bashford Manor (grade III) for 2-year-olds at Churchill Downs.
Even the Score, the probable favorite for the $750,000 Hollywood Gold Cup (gr. I) on Saturday, completed drills for the 1 1/4-mile race with a five-furlong work in 1:00 Monday at Hollywood Park.
Kenneth English and Alan Braun's Alke, runner-up in the $2 million Dubai Golden Shaheen (UAE-I) in his last start, is entered to run in the $500,000 Smile Sprint Handicap (gr. III) on the ÐSummit of Speed" card at Calder Race Course on Saturday, but his return to the races may be put on hold due to the development of a quarter crack, according to trainer Todd Pletcher.
Robert B. LaPenta's The Cliff's Edge, winner of the Toyota Blue Grass Stakes (gr. I) before finishing fifth in the Kentucky Derby (gr. I), is scheduled to return to competition Saturday in the Dwyer Stakes (gr. II) at Belmont Park. The $150,000 race will be run at 1 1/16 miles.
Joan and John Phillips' Wonder Again picked up another grade II victory Monday afternoon, drawing away in the stretch under jockey Edgar Prado to win the 61st running of the $250,000 New York Handicap (gr. IIT) for fillies and mares.
- By Ron Mitchell
Strong storms that rolled through parts of western Kentucky Monday damaged a barn and uprooted a handful of trees at Ellis Park in Henderson. No injuries were reported.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Hill 'n' Dale Acquires Half Interest in Bubbler
- Ward Pleased With Stable's Royal Ascot Performance
- Industry Groups Ask for Change in Parx Oaks Ruling
- Quality Over Quantity in Fasig-Tipton Saratoga Catalog
- Arrogate Breezes at Santa Anita
- F-T Saratoga Offering 12 From Scat Daddy's Last Crop
- Arrogate Unanimous Top Choice in NTRA Poll
- Irap Gets Best of Girvin in Ohio Derby
- Los Alamitos Meet Set to Kick Off July 6
- The Week in Photos 6/27/2017