Black Bart, a $16,000 claim who has earned $219,909 for his new connections in about six months, goes after his first graded victory on Sunday in Hollywood Park's $150,000 American Handicap (gr. IIT) at 1 1/8 miles on turf.
Churchill Downs' $100,000-added Debutante Stakes (gr. III) has the makings of a family affair. Siblings Greg and Vickie Foley will saddle two of the major contenders in Sunday's importantearly test for 2-year-old fillies.
Jockeys Ryan Fogelsonger and Joe Rocco, Jr. were taken to the Medical College of Virginia Friday night with unspecified injuries after a two-horse spill in the seventh race at Colonial Downs. The extent of their injuries was unknown, but both riders were alert and stabilized as they left the track.
Stronach Stable's Ghostzapper, absent for nine months since earning recognition as one of the nation's leading sprinters last year, returns to action Sunday in the $150,000 Tom Fool Handicap (gr. II) at Belmont Park.
The stewards at Hollywood Park summarily suspended jockey Patrick Valenzuela Friday until they can conduct a formal hearing after the jockey failed to provide samples of his hair for drug testing as required under terms of his conditional licensing agreement with the California Horse Racing Board.
Meteor Storm, the morning line favorite in a field of 12 entered for Saturday's $750,000 United Nations (gr. IT) at Monmouth Park, must overcome the extreme outside post.
Lane's End Farm, a perennial leader at the Fasig-Tipton Saratoga yearling sales, will not have a consignment at this year's sale held in Saratoga Springs, N.Y. Aug. 10-12. Instead, the sales agency of the Woodford County farm will focus its yearling prospects to Keeneland's September yearling sale in Kentucky, to be held Sept. 13-25.
Ballingarry, a 5-year-old horse who has earned more than $1.5 million in his career, returns to Arlington Park July 4 to defend his title in the $200,000 Stars and Stripes Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. III) at 1 1/2 miles on the turf.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Disco Rico and His Record-Setting Son Disco Partner
- The Stronach Group Considers New England Venture
- STATS, Equibase Launch STATS Race Lens Mobile Version
- Kentucky Derby Starters Reunite in Ohio Derby
- Big Orange Gets Best of Order of St George in Gold Cup
- Jockey Club Gold Cup Purse Lowered, Cigar Mile Hiked
- Milestone Victory for Goodwin Comes at Canterbury Park
- It's Over: Parties Reach Agreement in Life At Ten Case
- Battle of Midway Using Affirmed as Prep for Haskell
- Lady Aurelia Overpowers Males in King's Stand