The Ohio Thoroughbred Breeders and Owners will offer $50,000 in incentives to encourage buyers of Ohio-bred yearlings at its Midwest Regional sale Oct. 2 at River Downs.
- By Tom LaMarra
Stevenson and Associates is in the process of lining up potential investors for SimulTech, a company formed to operate an offshore wagering hub that would accept bets on United States racing from foreign countries.
A chestnut colt from the first crop of Horse of the Year Point Given was purchased by trainer Bob Baffert for $475,000 to top Monday's opening session of the Fasig-Tipton Kentucky summer yearling sale in Lexington, Ky.
The Ocala Breeders' Sales Company's 2004 August Yearling Sale has been posted on the OBS Web site.
The British Jockey Club has charged two jockeys, Gary Carter and Pat McCabe, and a trainer, Shaun Keightley, with holding horses back in flat races following investigations. The cases center on Christopher Coleman, a bettor and London tailor who was warned off for two years in January 2003.
- By Tom LaMarra
Tim Smith, the first and only full-time commissioner of the National Thoroughbred Racing Association, may resign effective Sept. 1 and could be headed to the New York Racing Association to serve as president and chief executive officer.
Though pari-mutuel handle on Thoroughbred racing in the United States and Canada dropped slightly in the second quarter of 2004, purses increased 2.86%, according to the National Thoroughbred Racing Association and Equibase.
Hollywood Park closed its 65th spring/summer meet July 18 with total common pool wagering of $679,693,206, down 1.2% from last year's figure.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Hill 'n' Dale Acquires Half Interest in Bubbler
- F-T Saratoga Offering 12 From Scat Daddy's Last Crop
- Ward Pleased With Stable's Royal Ascot Performance
- Industry Groups Ask for Change in Parx Oaks Ruling
- Arrogate Breezes at Santa Anita
- Quality Over Quantity in Fasig-Tipton Saratoga Catalog
- Irap Gets Best of Girvin in Ohio Derby
- Arrogate Unanimous Top Choice in NTRA Poll
- Street Surrender, Roman Secure First Stakes Win
- Los Alamitos Meet Set to Kick Off July 6