Smarty Jones ran his unbeaten record to seven and earned a $5 million bonus in the process Saturday, winning the 130th Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs.
Stroll had won a grade III and grade II. Now he has a grade I on his resume, winning Saturday's $453,900 Woodford Reserve Turf Classic (gr. IT) at Churchill Downs by 2 1/2 lengths the race prior to the Kentucky Derby (gr. IT).
Stay Forever captured the $150,000 Hollywood Wildcat Breeders' Cup Handicap at Calder Race Course on Saturday, coming from well off the pace and running down the early leaders in the final strides.
Azeri came back time after time, but it wasn't enough. Mayo on the Side and Pat Day got by at the end to win the Humana Distaff Handicap (gr. I) at Churchill Downs Saturday.
In a thrilling last few strides, Shaconage and Brice Blanc came through on the hedge to upset heavily favored Etoile Montante and Jerry Bailey in the Argent Mortgage (gr. IIIT).
Favored Lunarpal made it look easy, coasting home by five lengths in the $115,400 Three Chimneys Juvenile on the Kentucky Derby day undercard.
Jockey Richard Hills gave his father Barry his first training win in the 2,000 Guineas (Eng-I) since 1979 with a mild upset aboard Haafhd in the first Classic of the European season at Newmarket Saturday.
Speightstown went wire-to-wire to win the $221,800 Churchill Downs Handicap (gr. II) Saturday as odds-on favorite Congaree faltered.
Go for Gin, the 1994 Kentucky Derby (gr. I) winner , will be moving from Claiborne Stud in Kentucky after he finishes out the current breeding season.
The rain arrived at Churchill Downs as predicted. About 4:10 p.m., nearly two hours before post time to the Kentucky Derby (gr. I) it began raining hard at Churchill Downs. The track turned sloppy in a matter of minutes
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Unique Bella Sidelined Due to Shin Issue
- Classic Empire to Arkansas Derby After Impressive Work
- Arrogate Last to First in Dubai World Cup
- Tepin Refuses to Work March 27 at Palm Meadows
- McCraken, Gunnevera Top Kentucky Derby Future Wager
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - March 28, 2017
- Tapit Colt Tops Barretts Hips to Watch
- Arrogate and How We Define Greatness
- Hence Springs Upset in Sunland Derby
- Skychai Racing Purchases Interest in Fast and Accurate