Trainer Bob Baffert's gray Triple Crown duo of Preachinatthebar and Wimbledon were both out for workouts over Santa Anita's fast main track on Monday morning.
West Point Thorougbreds' Seattle Fitz, runner-up to Medaglia d'Oro in the Feb. 7 Donn Handicap (gr. I) at Gulfstream Park, worked four furlongs in :47 1/5 at Palm Meadows Training Center March 29 in preparation for the April 3 Gulfstream Park Handicap (gr. II).
Grade I winner Lion Heart will race next in the April 10 Toyota Blue Grass Stakes (gr. I) at Keeneland, trainer Patrick Biancone decided Monday, shortly after the chestnut son of Tale of the Cat worked five furlongs in 1:01 2/5 over Santa Anita's fast main track. Regular exercise rider Jean Claude was aboard for the move.
Marylou Whitney's Birdstone tuned up for the April 10 Blue Grass Stakes (gr. I) Monday morning, breezing an easy six furlongs in 1:15 2/5 at Keeneland, his first work since his fifth-place finish in the Lane's End Stakes (gr. II) March 20.
River Downs, which has the longest continually sponsored stakes in the United States with the Miller Genuine Draft Cradle Stakes, has announced an extension of Pepsi Americas' sponsorship of the Pepsi Bassinet Stakes for another three years.
A Thunder Gulch colt topped Sunday's opening session of the Magic Millions Gold Coast premier yearling sale in Australia, bringing an $86,000 bid ($64,233 in U.S. funds).
- By Tom Precious
Pari-mutuel takeout wars have begun in New York, where a state senator has introduced legislation to increase the amount the New York Racing Association keeps on wagers. Though the measure's sponsor said the takeout hike is needed to help stop NYRA's financial bleeding, NYRA chairman Barry Schwartz insists the legislation would turn off bettors and decrease purses.
March 29, 1969
Majestic Prince in the Santa Anita Derby
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Headed to Dubai World Cup
- Conquest Mo Money Still Undefeated, Sunland Derby Next
- Willy North Returns to Sales Scene at Fasig-Tipton
- Finger Lakes Season Could be on Line at Feb. 27 Meeting
- Girvin Upsets Risen Star Stakes
- Unique Bella Tops Roster of 109 Kentucky Oaks Nominees
- Prominent Ohio Breeder George Smith Dies at 84
- Canadian Racing Channel HPItv to Remain on the Air
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- McCraken Top Individual in Kentucky Derby Future Wager