Friendly Michelle wore down the leaders in a long stretch drive and posted a 1 ¼-length victory in the $82,500 Santa Paula Stakes for 3-year-old fillies Sunday at Santa Anita Park.
Team Block's Mystery Giver continued his mastery over the Fair Grounds' turf, coming from far back to win Sunday's $500,000 Mervin Muniz Jr. Memorial Handicap (gr. IIT) Sunday, setting a course record while going over the $1 million mark in career earnings.
German-bred Meridiana, a disappointment in the United States last year after winning the Italian Oaks (Ity-I) in May, took a big step forward with a front-running victory in the $200,000 Orchid Handicap (gr. IIT) Sunday at 12 furlongs on the Gulfstream Park turf course.
A 73-race losing streak wasn't enough to shake the confidence of jockey Jose Valdivia Jr., who warmed up in a big way Saturday.
Bluesthestandard, preparing for the $200,000 Potrero Grande Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II) at 6 1/2 furlongs March 28, turned in a blazing :57 2/5 work Sunday at Santa Anita.
- By Tom LaMarra
Several politically active horsemen in Ohio are considering legal action after receiving word they wouldn't get stalls for their racehorses at the upcoming River Downs meet.
March 21, 1970
Personality in New York
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Deal Reached on Pegasus Starting Slot for Gun Runner
- A. P. Indy Fires Another Across the Bow
- First Foal for Circumference is a Filly
- Jockey Lane Luzzi Follows in Father's Footsteps
- Bahamian Squall's First Foal is a Colt
- Untapped Takes First Steps Toward Filling Big Shoes
- Recalling World's Most Lucrative Races
- New York Lawmakers Question Cuomo's NYRA Plans
- First Foal a Filly for Grade 1 Winner Danza
- First Foal by Fast Anna Born in New York