Tom Meeker, president and chief executive officer of Churchill Downs Inc., told racetrack and gaming officials Tuesday that racing has become a remedy for state deficits rather than a means for economic development.
Assembly member Jerome E. Horton announced legislation Dec. 7 to combat illegal substances in California racehorses, in particular milkshakes.
- By Tom Precious
Legislation has been introduced in New York to sweeten the pot for racetracks operating video lottery terminals, and to encourage the New York Racing Association's VLT partner to begin construction of a new casino at Aqueduct.
One of North America's most lucrative stakes programs will be even richer for spring 2005, track officials at Keeneland announced Tuesday.
Robert Gaffglione, who rode for 41 years, died Dec. 5 in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
Graded stakes winner Fast Decision, who is bred on a similar cross as leading sire Thunder Gulch, will enter stud at Dr. Jonathan Davis' Milfer Farm near Unadilla, N.Y.
Voting is underway at the National Thoroughbred Racing Association's Web site for the sixth annual "NTRA Moment of the Year."
UltraCade Technologies, Breeders' Cup Ltd. and the National Thoroughbred Racing Association Tuesday unveiled a coin- operated horse racing game called Breeders' Cup Tournament Edition.
Secret Flame, a yearling daughter of General Meeting, brought the top price of $40,000 during the Washington Thoroughbred Breeders Association (WTBA) winter mixed sale Sunday at Emerald Downs.
Twenty six young colts and geldings and one filly have been nominated to the 19th renewal of Tampa Bay Downs' $60,000 Inaugural Stakes--the track's traditional opening day event--set for Saturday when the oval kick's off its 79th season.
Storm Bird, a European champion who sired the great Storm Cat, was euthanized the night of Dec. 3 following a bout with colic at Ashford Stud near Versailles, Ky.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out
- Record Tiznow Colt Lives Up to Expectations
- Animal Kingdom's First N. Hemisphere Starter Wins Big
- Tiznow Colt Brings $2.45 Million at OBS
- Derby, Oaks Notes from Churchill Downs, April 27
- Paradise Woods Records Final Work for Kentucky Oaks
- Santa Anita Officials Confident Future Cards Will Fill
- Pletcher Considering Royal Ascot for American Patriot
- Sharp: Girvin Still on Track for Kentucky Derby
- Union Rags Colt Goes for $1 Million at OBS