Following blockbuster September yearling and November breeding stock auctions, Keeneland has catalogued a record number of horses to its annual January sale.
Chilean-import Tamburello picked up his first win in North America Wednesday with a 3 3/4-length score in the $75,000 Gallant Fox Handicap at Aqueduct. Tamburello covered the 1 5/8-mile distance over the inner-track in 2:43.95. Colita, the 4-5 favorite, was second, with Hydrogen a nose behind in third.
Empress Club, a South African Horse of the Year, died suddenly Dec. 19 at Gainesway Farm (Antony Beck, president) near Lexington.
Little Matth Man began the year with an inner track stakes victory in the Feb. 7 Whirlaway. Friday, he'll look to close out 2004 with another inner track stakes win in the 1 1/16-mile Alex M. Robb at Aqueduct.
HorseRacing TV announced Dec. 29 that it will kickoff its exclusive coverage of the Gulfstream Park's winter meeting on opening day, Monday, Jan. 3. The 86-day meeting will begin with a first post time of 12:45 p.m. EDT on that day and continues through Sunday, April 24.
Wallop, owned by the Childs and Childs Stable of John and Clayton Childs, caught pacesetter Glorious Again late to post a half-length victory in Tuesday's $75,000 New Year's Eve Stakes at Mountaineer Park.
Royal Lad, a four-time stakes winner, will enter stud at Holly Wise's Heritage Stud near Folsom, La.
Makybe Diva (Desert King -- Tugela), who has won the past two runnings of Australia's biggest race, the Melbourne Cup (Aust-I), is heading to Europe in February to continue her career. The immediate target is the Arc de Triomphe (Fr-I).
Victoria's leading Thoroughbred nursery, Blue Gum Farm of Euroa, has announced the acquisition of a 50% stake in multi-millionaire galloper Elvstroem.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out
- Record Tiznow Colt Lives Up to Expectations
- Animal Kingdom's First N. Hemisphere Starter Wins Big
- Tiznow Colt Brings $2.45 Million at OBS
- Derby, Oaks Notes from Churchill Downs, April 27
- Paradise Woods Records Final Work for Kentucky Oaks
- Santa Anita Officials Confident Future Cards Will Fill
- Pletcher Considering Royal Ascot for American Patriot
- Sharp: Girvin Still on Track for Kentucky Derby
- Union Rags Colt Goes for $1 Million at OBS