Overbrook Farm homebred Storm Surge took the lead in the top of the stretch and went on to capture the $60,000 Sugar Bowl Stakes for 2-year-olds Friday at Fair Grounds Race Course.
Pennsylvania Derby (gr. II) winner Love of Money was delayed in Texas due to inclement weather and will not run in Sunday's $250,000 Malibu Stakes (gr. I), according to the agent for Victor Espinoza, who was slated to ride.
Becky Witzman, assistant trainer for Richard Mandella for the past 6 ½ years, has joined HorseRacingTV as an analyst.
Carson City, the 14th ranked sire by progeny earnings in 2004, died Friday morning at Overbrook Farm. The cause of death is not known, pending the results of an autopsy.
- By Tom LaMarra
The Thoroughbred Championship Tour, which calls for a realigned, beefed up series of stakes leading up to the Breeders' Cup World Thoroughbred Championships, is officially a scratch for 2005 but should be ready to go in 2006, an organizer said.
Jockey Victor Espinoza Wednesday lost a final appeal of a seven-day suspension handed down by Santa Anita stewards in March and will begin serving his days starting with the opening day at Santa Anita program on Sunday.
Derrick Smith and Michael Tabor's grade I winner Sense of Style is recovering from surgery to remove a chip from an ankle, trainer Patrick Biancone said Dec. 23, and won't make her sophomore debut until sometime earlier this spring.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Champion Hidden Lake Dies at 23
- California Chrome Draws Rail in Awesome Again
- Jockey Gallardo to Try Southern California
- Borell Enters Alford Plea on Cruelty Charges
- Outwork, Speightster Retire to WinStar
- Stopchargingmaria in F-T November Sale
- Santa Anita Installs Barn Surveillance System
- 'Cleopatra' Looking to Reign in Chandelier
- Another Try for Metaboss in John Henry Turf
- Jockey Collins Suffers Paralysis After Spill