Wagering during the Maryland Million at Pimlico totaled $6.5 million Saturday, just off the day's record of $6.6 million, according to figures released by Maryland Jockey Club Sunday.
The champion Azeri, approaching her 2002 form when she was Horse of the Year, put on a show in her first start at Keeneland while winning the $500,000 Overbrook Spinster for fillies and mares under wraps Sunday.
Pt's Grey Eagle, seventh on the turn, turned in a 29-1 stunner in the $213,000 Ancient Title Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. I) Sunday during the Oak Tree meet at Santa Anita.
Perennial Bay Area training champion Jerry Hollendorfer is pointing Yougottawanna to the $250,000 California Cup Classic, marquee race for California Cup XV presented by the Oak Tree Racing Association at Santa Anita on Saturday.
Trainer Todd Pletcher confirmed that Champagne (gr. I) winner Proud Accolade would make his next start in the Oct. 30 Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I) at Lone Star Park.
The brilliant sprinter Lady Tak, with a confident John Velazquez in the saddle, disposed of pacesetter Molto Vita coming off the turn and cruised to a two-length victory as the heavy favorite in the $150,000 Gallant Bloom Handicap (gr. II) for fillies and mares.
Florida shipper Stay Forever, making her first start in three months, came from behind to edge fellow closer Super Brand by a half-length in the $500,000 WinStar Galaxy (gr. IIT) for fillies and mares on the Keeneland turf Sunday.
Goldolphin's Ancient World grabbed the lead early with Frankie Dettori and led a British sweep of the Premio Vittorio di Capua (Ity-I) at San Siro on Sunday.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- BC Classic Endgame for Gun Runner in 2017
- Knee Chip Knocks El Areeb Off Derby Trail
- Baffert Could Send Three to Santa Anita Derby
- Sheikh Mohammed 'Definitely' Plans to Hike DWC Purse
- Del Mar Altering Main Track Banking and Grading
- Sano's Faith in Gunnevera Unwavering for Florida Derby
- Suffolk Downs Sale Approved by Gaming Commission
- Arrogate Last to First in Dubai World Cup
- Zimmer Relocated to Poplar Creek in Ohio
- Dortmund Looks to Regain Form in Santana Mile