Argentine-bred Star Cross earned his first career graded stakes victory in Saturday's San Pasqual Handicap (gr. II), edging ahead of Nose The Trade in the late stages to win by a half-length at Santa Anita.
Harris Farms' homebred Super High won for the first time since November 2002, edging away to a 2 1/2-length victory in Saturday's $100,000 Work The Crowd Handicap at Golden Gate Fields.
Just as expected, the $60,000 Marshua Stakes turned out to be a two-horse race with Among My Souvenirs beating Forestier in a furious drive to the wire.
Cajun Beat, last year's Breeders' Cup Sprint (gr. I) winner, kicked off his 2004 campaign with a gate-to-wire victory in the $100,000 Mr. Prospector Handicap (gr. III) at six furlongs.
Mr. and Mrs. Martin J. Wygod's homebred Delmonico Cat surged to the lead in the final strides to win the $100,000 Honey Fox Handicap (gr. IIIT) for fillies and mares by a half-length Saturday at Gulfstream Park, registering her first career graded stakes victory.
Joseph V. Shields Jr.'s homebred Puzzlement wore down stablemate Bowman's Band in deep stretch to win the $100,000 Hal's Hope Handicap (gr. III) by a neck, giving trainer H. Allen Jerkens his third win on opening day at Gulfstream Park Saturday.
After more than a half century as a leading Kentucky veterinarian, Alex Harthill, who cared for many of racing's all-time greats, announced he is retiring at the age of 78.
- By Tom LaMarra
Thoroughbred racing at Mountaineer Race Track & Gaming Resort is on hold until at least Jan. 19 while track officials try to reach a new five-year contract with the Mountaineer Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association. Meanwhile, the track has offered to keep its stable are open with certain conditions, but the HBPA has balked.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Classic Empire Out of Fountain of Youth
- Epicharis Earns Japan's Kentucky Derby Bid
- Zakaroff 48-1 Stunner in El Camino Real Derby
- Gold Dream Punches Ticket to BC Classic
- Mo Town Set for 3-Year-Old Debut in Risen Star
- Lucky Pulpit, Sire of 'Chrome', Dies of a Heart Attack
- Cuddle Alert Gives Sire Bedford Falls First Stakes Win
- Royal Delta Half Brother Scores on Gulfstream Turf
- Terra Promessa Goes Gate to Wire in Bayakoa