James McIngvale's During fought off several challenges in the stretch and scored a one-length victory Saturday in the $221,800 San Fernando Breeders' Cup Stakes (gr. II) for 4-year-olds at Santa Anita Park.
- By Jack Shinar
While Internet wagering on horseracing across state lines has been legalized in 17 states, the United States Congress still hasn't determined whether other forms of casino-style gaming should be prohibited. Until it does, gambling in cyberspace remains a complex public policy issue.
Michael Bello's Megahertz took advantage of a slow early pace as the 5-year-old British-bred mare unleashed a quick turn of foot in the last quarter-mile to win the San Gorgiono Handicap (gr. IIT) at Santa Anita on Saturday.
Martin Cherry's Wynn Dot Conma began his 3-year-old campaign on a winning note Saturday when he passed three horses in the stretch to win the $100,000 Spectacular Bid Stakes (gr. III) at Gulfstream Park.
Kentucky Derby (gr. I) and Preakness Stakes (gr. I) winner Funny Cide made an auspicious return to the races at Gulfstream Park on Jan. 11, drawing off for an impressive five-length win over American Style in a seven-furlong money allowance race.
Since Shake You Down was left off the list of finalists for an Eclipse Award as top sprinter of 2003, trainer Scott Lake is eager to get the 6-year-old to the track to prove himself, starting with the $300,000 Sunshine Millions Padua Stables Sprint Jan. 24.
- By Ron Mitchell
For the second straight day, cold temperatures hampered racing at New York's Aqueduct Racetrack, with live racing cancelled for Saturday. Meanwhile, jockeys at Laurel Park refused to ride Saturday's nine-race card and racing was also cancelled at Philadelphia Park and Penn National.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Archarcharch, Tizway to South Korea
- Better Talk Now Euthanized at Age 18
- After 26 Stakes Wins, Fan Favorite Ben's Cat Retired
- Lights of Medina Leads Pletcher Trio in Mother Goose
- Curlin's Approval Heads Princess Rooney
- Holy Helena Favored for Queen's Plate
- Mott Set for Queen's Plate Debut With Channel Maker
- Obituary: Jack Arterburn Spent Life in Racing
- Fasig-Tipton Horses of Racing Age Sale Offers Diversity
- Delta Bluesman Aims to Repeat in Smile Sprint