Making his third United States start, French import Fairly Ransom put it all together to win the $300,000 Del Mar Derby (gr. IIT) on the grass Saturday by 1 1/4 length over Devious Boy and Sweet Return.
Starview Stables's Pink Champagne, ridden by Richard Dos Ramos, whipped favored Saree in late stretch to win the featured $177,000 Natalma Stakes (Can-III) for 2-year-old fillies Saturday at Woodbine.
Joseph Shields Jr.'s House Party won the $200,000 Endine Handicap (gr. III) in dramatic track record-equaling fashion at Delaware Park Saturday.
The Maryland Jockey Club honored King Leatherbury Saturday at Pimlico after he became the third trainer in history to win 6,000 races last month.
The team of owner Sondra Bender and trainer Larry Murray won its fifth stakes race of the year in Maryland as Cruise Along beat nine other Maryland-bred fillies and mares in the $75,000 All Brandy Stakes at Pimlico.
Somnus, nearly last on the inside with a furlong to go, switched out for the run to the wire for jockey Ted Durcan and caught the hot favorite Oasis Dream to win the $353,000 Stanley Leisure Sprint Cup (Eng-I) at rainy Haydock Park.
Maktoum Al Maktoum's Favourable Terms, ridden confidently by Kieren Fallon for trainer Michael Stoute, scored a neck victory over Perfect Touch in the betfair.com Matron Stakes (Ire-II) at Leopardstown Saturday.
John Sosby, who has worked at the Hancock family's Claiborne Farm for more than 50 years --47 of them full-time -- is retiring in early October.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Stormin Fever Euthanized at 23
- Undefeated Caravaggio Shines in Commonwealth Cup
- Casse Duo Set for Queen's Plate Run
- Neolithic Back Galloping After Respiratory Illness
- Litfin at Large: Class Horses Figure in Ohio Derby
- Kentucky Derby Starters Reunite in Ohio Derby
- The Stronach Group Considers New England Venture
- Untrapped Aims for First Stakes win in Ohio Derby
- Disco Rico and His Record-Setting Son Disco Partner
- Lady Aurelia Overpowers Males in King's Stand