Pimlico has altered the process for selecting post positions for the Preakness Stakes, placing the random draw to establish the order of selection at an earlier time.
Father Frank Niehaus, a Catholic priest who breeds and owns Thoroughbreds, knows the horses and knows his audience. On May 4, the day after the Kentucky Derby, he used racing's biggest event to reach out to his parishioners.
The TVG network reported Monday that the Kentucky Derby fueled the largest single day of wagering in the company's history. TVG handled $4,045,559 on Saturday, May 3.
ReRun, Inc. has assumed management of Greener Pastures Equine Sanctuary, a 160-acre estate along the Sassafras River near Cecilton, Maryland donated by the Wear Family.
A back problem may have been responsible for Ten Most Wanted's disappointing performance in the Kentucky Derby (gr. I), according to trainer Wally Dollase.
Irish champion Orpen was represented by his first two winners within 10 minutes of each other
Tampa Bay Downs racing is growing in popularity as evidenced by a 22% increase in total handle during the 93-day that ended May 4. Total handle of $237,158,919 was up about $44 million from the 2001-2002 season.
The overnight rating for this year's Derby was down a bit from last year's figure, but the Derby was the highest-rated sports program of the weekend.
Trainer Gai Waterhouse broke the record of six group I wins over the 4-day Australian Jockey Club's Fall meeting when Hasna easily won the Champagne Stakes (Aust-I) on the final day, May 3.
Darkhorses Hishi Miracle and Sunrise Jaeger turned the tables on the top picks May 4 at Kyoto with a one-two surprise finish in the spring Emperor's Cup (Jpn-I).
Arizona Steward Gerry Howard Dies in Traffic Accident
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Grade 1 Winner, Sire Devil His Due Dies at 28
- Desormeaux Switches Agents to Arroyo
- Cloud Computing Leaves Pimlico, Others Thinking Belmont
- Cloud Computing Wears Down Classic Empire in Preakness
- Into Mischief Filly Tops Early at Midlantic Sale
- Hips to Watch: Day 2 Fasig-Tipton Midlantic Sale
- Trainer Richie Scherer Dies at Age 53
- Speedy Smart Strike Filly Brings $525,000
- Smart Strike Filly Leads the Way at Midlantic Sale
- Jimmy Creed Filly Pride of Endswell's Consignment