Ministers Wild Cat became the third stakes winner produced by champion Hollywood Wildcat and stamped himself as a possible Kentucky Derby threat with a 1 1/4-length win in Sunday's $66,950 Golden State Mile Stakes at Golden Gate Fields.
A high temperature has knocked Bham out of his scheduled start in Saturday's Fountain of Youth Stakes, forcing trainer Todd Pletcher to rethink his plans for next weekend. With Bham out, Pletcher now may run Indy Dancer in the Fountain of Youth rather than the Risen Star at Fair Grounds.
Anstu Stables' homebred Balto Star swept by Bonapaw in the stretch en route to a 2 1/4-length victory in Sunday's $125,000 Whirlaway Handicap (gr. III) at Fair Grounds.
The controversial but successful team of trainer Mark Shuman and owner Michael J. Gill won two races on Sunday's Gulfstream Park card, including a decisive 4 1/2-length victory by Native Heir in the day's feature race, the $100,000 Deputy Minister Handicap (gr. III).
Composure outfought Elloluv to the wire to win Sunday's exciting renewal of the $200,000 Las Virgenes Stakes (gr. I) at Santa Anita. Under jockey Jerry Bailey, Composure completed the one-mile main track event in 1:36.13, a neck-length ahead of her rival.
Patrick Biancone and Fabien Ouaki's Whywhywhy turned in his final work in preparation for Saturday's $200,000 Fountain of Youth Stakes (gr. I) at Santa Anita Sunday morning. Promising 3-year-olds Atswhatimtalknbout and Omega Code also worked Sunday.
Two promising juveniles from last year, Bull Market and Icecoldbeeratreds, who were both sidelined since last fall due to knee chips, have returned to training for Bob Baffert at Santa Anita.
The results of a survey conducted by the Gluck Equine Research Center showed that a small number of Central Kentucky farms experienced an unusual increase in what is being termed fall fetal loss syndrome (FFLS) during the latter part of 2002.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out
- Record Tiznow Colt Lives Up to Expectations
- Animal Kingdom's First N. Hemisphere Starter Wins Big
- Tiznow Colt Brings $2.45 Million at OBS
- Derby, Oaks Notes from Churchill Downs, April 27
- Paradise Woods Records Final Work for Kentucky Oaks
- Pletcher Considering Royal Ascot for American Patriot
- Santa Anita Officials Confident Future Cards Will Fill
- Sharp: Girvin Still on Track for Kentucky Derby
- A Few Early Thoughts on the Kentucky Derby Pace