Gustav Schickedanz's homebred Wando, who became the first horse in 10 years to sweep Canada's Triple Crown, was crowned Canadian Horse of the Year and top 3-year-old male when Sovereign Awards were announced Saturday.
Hall of Fame trainer Richard Mandella continued his dominance in the Native Diver Handicap when Olmodavor won the grade III race Saturday. The win by the Wertheimer Farm homebred marked a record seventh Native Diver win for Mandella.
Erdenheim Farm's Political Attack, a 4-year-old gelding trained by Michael Matz, turned in an impressive performance at Calder on Saturday to win the $100,000 Tropical Turf Handicap (gr. IIIT) by 1 1/2 lengths over Millennium Dragon.
The 5-year-old mare New Economy, bred and owned by Robert S. Evans and trained by H. Graham Motion, won the $100,000 My Charmer Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Calder Race Course on Saturday with jockey Rosemary Homeister, Jr. in the irons.
Trainer James K. Chapman, who has been based in California for a decade, recently purchased a farm in Florida and will be active in both states next year.
Average daily interstate simulcast handle rose but on-track wagering and attendance declined during the 70-day meet at Hoosier Park in Anderson, Ind., that ended Thursday.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Creator Works, Set for Trip to New York
- Untapable Prepares for Start in Fleur de Lis
- Suddenbreakingnews Now 'Official Ridgling'
- The Art of Exaggerator's Stud Deal
- Songbird Works at Santa Anita, Target Unknown
- Exaggerator Arrives at Belmont Park
- Si Sage Speeds to Whittingham Victory
- Leroidesanimaux Dies at 16
- California Chrome 'Stronger' in Los Al Drill
- Lexie Lou Back to Winning Ways at Woodbine