Racing Services Inc. was denied a renewal of its North Dakota simulcasting license, amid worries about the future of a business that is facing federal felony charges and the possible seizure of its property.
- By Tom Precious
Licensing problems have delayed, for possibly well into 2004, the opening of Vernon Downs, which was to become the first racetrack in New York with video lottery terminals. That honor will now go to Saratoga Raceway, which is scheduled to open its VLT operation in mid-January.
Three Valleys , winner of the Shadwell Stud Middle Park Stakes (Eng-I) at Newmarket, England, will almost definitely lose the six-furlong race after the British Jockey Club confirmed that the 2-year-old has failed a post-race drug test.
The Stable Lads Associations request for a 15% increase in minimum pay rates for Britain's stable staff was ruled out by trainers who did concede a maximum 6% rise.
- By Tom Keyser
Tough times and uncertainty mark the passing of one year and the beginning of another in Maryland racing. Joe De Francis, president and CEO of the Maryland Jockey Club, calls 2003 "the toughest year we've had in the last decade." And the battle for relief in the form of slot machines has taken more unexpected twists and turns.
Joe Taylor, the legendary Kentucky farm manager who literally wrote the book on how to breed and raise racehorses, was killed in a two-car accident on an ice-slickened Tates Creek Road on the south side of Lexington early Friday evening.
The 30-day autumn meet at Hollywood Park ended Sunday with a moderate increase in attendance and slight declines in wagering numbers.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Classic Empire Out of Fountain of Youth
- Epicharis Earns Japan's Kentucky Derby Bid
- Zakaroff 48-1 Stunner in El Camino Real Derby
- Gold Dream Punches Ticket to BC Classic
- Mo Town Set for 3-Year-Old Debut in Risen Star
- Lucky Pulpit, Sire of 'Chrome', Dies of a Heart Attack
- Royal Delta Half Brother Scores on Gulfstream Turf
- Terra Promessa Goes Gate to Wire in Bayakoa
- Curlin's Approval Stretches Out Handily in Royal Delta