Lead Story, ridden by Calvin Borel, rallied along the inside on a sloppy Churchill Downs track to romp away in the $334,200 Falls City Handicap (gr. II) for fillies and mares Thursday by a widening 6 1/2 lengths.
Hall of Fame jockey Jerry Bailey will wrap up his year in New York on Saturday with a trio of stakes mounts. One behind Mike Smith's record of 68 stakes victories in a year, Bailey will be aboard likely favorites Congaree in the Cigar Mile, Read the Footnotes in the Remsen and Ashado in the Demoiselle.
Speedster Bossanova opened up a two-length advantage in the stretch and held on under Edgar Prado for a gate-to-wire victory in Thursday's $108,300 Fall Highweight Handicap (gr. III) at Aqueduct.
WinStar Farm's Awesome Humor, one of the nation's top 3-year-old fillies, has been knocked out of Saturday's $300,000-added Falls City Handicap (gr. II) at Churchill Downs by injury and has been retired from racing.
This is the ninth in a series of early looks at next year's potential Derby horses. The migration of Europeans to the Derby trail begins Saturday when English-trained Master David tackles the Remsen Stakes for new owner Peter Minikes.
Joseph Vitello's ultra-consistent Tenpins, a multiple stakes winner that has been worse than second only twice in 15 career races, is a slight favorite in a strong field of 14 older horses entered in Friday's 129th and richest running of Churchill Downs' $500,000-added Clark Handicap (gr. II).
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Draws Post 13, is 3-1 Derby Favorite
- Field of 22 Set for 142nd Kentucky Derby
- Unlocking Winners Kentucky Derby 142 Analysis
- Team Optimistic, Nyquist 'Full of Energy'
- Nancy From Nairobi Wins Royal Heroine
- Repole Returns With Outwork for Uncle Mo
- Beholder to Make 2016 Debut in Adoration
- Big Blue Kitten Heads Woodford Turf Classic
- Rachel's Valentina 7-2 Oaks Favorite
- Bensons Hope to Let Good Times Roll in Derby