South African import Ipi Tombe, who became an international racing star early this year with a trio of dominating victories in Dubai, has been retired from racing after a training setback that would have kept her from a return trip to Dubai.
Time Of War, owned by Steve Stavro's Knob Hill Stable, shocked not only fans, but his trainer as well when he crossed the wire first at 22-1 in Saturday's $128,500 Sir Barton Stakes at Woodbine.
Tim Cunningham's Ironton wrested the lead down the backstretch in the $75,000 Northern Dancer Stakes for 3-year-old Maryland breds and held it with a nose victory at the wire.
Edmund Gann's Medaglia d'Oro, winner of the Whitney (gr. I) and runner-up in the $4 million Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I) the last two years, has been assigned high weight of 125 pounds for the 129th running of the $500,000-added Clark Handicap (gr. II) on Nov. 29.
Jockey Christophe Soumillon broke Cash Asmussen's French riding record for wins in a season with a triple at Fontainebleau Saturday.
Grade I winner Buddy Gil has resumed full training and is being pointed toward the Dec. 26 Malibu Stakes (gr. I) on opening day at Santa Anita, trainer Jeff Mullins said.
Hall of Fame trainer Bobby Frankel tied Charlie Whittingham's all-time record for victories at Hollywood Park Friday night when Irish-bred Anja won the fifth race to give Frankel his 859th win at the Inglewood track.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Champion Hidden Lake Dies at 23
- Jockey Gallardo to Try Southern California
- California Chrome Draws Rail in Awesome Again
- Borell Enters Alford Plea on Cruelty Charges
- Santa Anita Installs Barn Surveillance System
- Stopchargingmaria in F-T November Sale
- Outwork, Speightster Retire to WinStar
- Another Try for Metaboss in John Henry Turf
- Impressive Maiden Winners Try Pilgrim Stakes
- Two Unbeaten Favorites in Florida Sire Series