Mrs. J. S. Bolger's Margarula, an Irish-bred daughter of Douyon sent off at 33-1 odds, produced strong late run to defeat odds-on favorite Quarter Moon in Sunday's Irish Oaks (Ire-I) at The Curragh.
Chiselling, whose career got off to a slow start when he lost his first three races, overcame a tardy break to win the Lexington Stakes (gr. IIIT) by a nose for owner-breeder Juddmonte Farms and Hall of Famers Jerry Bailey and Bobby Frankel.
Came Home had a different rider in Sunday's Swaps Stakes (gr. II) at Hollywood Park, but the results were the same as they have been in eight of his 10 previous starts: a comfortable victory.
Sky Jack joined some elite company on Sunday when the 6-year-old gelding by Jaklin Klugman became the fifth California-bred to win the Hollywood Gold Cup (gr. I). Sky Jack won the 1 1/4-mile fixture under 55-year-old Laffit Pincay Jr. after a stretch-long duel with Momentum, finally prevailing by a nose.
Australia's Arrowfield Stud, which recently lost the services of deceased stallion End Sweep, announced that it will stand the proven sire Zafonic (Gone West – Zaizafon by The Minstrel) in 2002 on behalf of Prince Khalid Abdullah's Juddmonte Farms.
Grade I winner Outofthebox, Florida's champion 3-year-old male of 2001, will enter stud at Dick Simon's Sez Who Thoroughbreds near Ocala, Fla.
Three-year-old Century City, who was bought by Tom Nichols and John J. Greely IV's Kitchwa Stable shortly before winning the July 13 Goffs International Stakes (Ire-II) at the Curragh, is scheduled to be shipped to trainer C. Beau Greely in the U.S.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Arrives at Santa Anita
- Connect in Good Shape After PA Derby Win
- Ward: Scope Shows Lady Aurelia Bled
- Songbird Untouchable in Cotillion
- Solid Keeneland Sale Ends With Declines
- Connect Bounces Back in Pennsylvania Derby
- Handle Decreased 26% at Monmouth Park in 2016
- Runhappy Logs Final Drill for Return
- La Cressonniere to Miss Arc After Setback
- Miyadi Suspended by CHRB After Altercation