An elite cast of the nation's best jockeys, led by horse racing's all-time win leader Laffit Pincay Jr., will meet again next month in North Texas for the popular NTRA All-Star Jockey Championship at Lone Star Park at Grand Prairie.
- By Jack Shinar
Magna Entertainment Corporation is proposing a major integrated commercial and entertainment complex to be built adjacent to Golden Gate Fields, its Albany, Calif., racing and simulcast operation.
- By Tom LaMarra
Michigan's racing commissioner said her office continues to field inquiries from companies interested in operating a Thoroughbred track in the Detroit metropolitan area, something horsemen believe is a key to any future growth for the sport.
Sportsman's Park officials expect soon to receive the $1-million payout War Emblem earned for winning both the Illinois Derby (gr. II) and the Kentucky Derby (gr. I). They also hope to learn who will receive the bonus.
Growth in simulcast wagering helped stabilize Turf Paradise's average daily handle and attendance even though the Phoenix area racetrack ran two more days than it did during its 2000-01 meet.
The third time proved lucky, and, at last unencumbered by traffic jams, Tanino Gimlet, got the chance to show his stuff--winning stuff--May 26 at Tokyo Racecourse.
Suspicious Native, whose unbeaten son Meadowlake is the sire of champion Meadow Star and 46 other stakes winners, died May 23 at Robert Courtney's Crestfield Farm near Lexington.
Even as activities proceeded as usual at Belmont Park, the unmistakable buzz in the air continued to grow. It comes around only when a 3-year old has a shot to win the Triple Crown.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out
- Record Tiznow Colt Lives Up to Expectations
- Animal Kingdom's First N. Hemisphere Starter Wins Big
- Tiznow Colt Brings $2.45 Million at OBS
- Strong Gains at OBS Session Led by Record Tiznow Colt
- Derby, Oaks Notes from Churchill Downs, April 27
- Sharp: Girvin Still on Track for Kentucky Derby
- Santa Anita Officials Confident Future Cards Will Fill
- Paradise Woods Records Final Work for Kentucky Oaks
- Pletcher Considering Royal Ascot for American Patriot