Grade I winner Pompeii, passed by Gal On The Go in the stretch, came back along the inside in the final strides to win by a neck in Sunday's featured $62,400 allowance race at Churchill Downs.
Two of the top 3-year-old fillies in the country, Dogwood Stakes (gr. III) winner Take Charge Lady and Comely (gr. III) winner Bella Bellucci, will make their next starts in grade I stakes races at Belmont Park. Bella Bellucci is being pointed toward the Acorn on June 9, while Take Charge Lady will wait for the June 29 Mother Goose.
Eclipse champion Kona Gold is expected to make his 2002 debut in the June 2 Los Angeles Handicap (gr. III) at Hollywood Park. Alex Solis will ride the 8-year-old gelding in the six-furlong race.
Racing in the colors of Scudero Il Poggio for the final time, Rakti defeated Aidan O'Brien-trained Ballingarry by 1 1/2 lengths in Sunday's Derby Italiano (Ity-I) at the Capannelle.
Proud Citizen, second in the Kentucky Derby and third in the Preakness, breezed an easy half-mile in :50 4/5 at Churchill Downs Sunday in preparation for the June 8 Belmont Stakes.
Rebelline earned her third straight victory while turning the tables on the 1-2 finishers in her most recent defeat, winning Sunday's Tattersalls Gold Cup (Ire-I) by two lengths over Bach at The Curragh. Nayef, winner of last year's Dubai Champion Stakes (Eng-I) in which Rebelline finished eighth, came home 2 1/2 lengths farther back in third, with Champion Stakes runner-up Tobougg fifth of eight runners.
Gerald Leigh's homebred Gossamer made amends for her eighth-place finish in the Sagitta One Thousand Guineas (Eng-I) with a 4 1/2-length romp in the Irish equivalent Sunday at The Curragh. Under Jamie Spencer, the 3-year-old daughter of Sadler's Wells completed the group I mile race in 1:45.5 on soft to heavy turf.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Grade 2 Winner Iliad Retired
- Irish War Cry Solid in Final Pre-Derby Work
- Another Big Finish for McCraken in Final Pre-Derby Work
- Practical Joke Rewards Breeders' Faith in His Dam
- Thunder Snow Enters Quarantine at Churchill Downs
- Horseman Mike Johnson Knows a Good One in McCraken
- Wilkes Continues to Do Nafzger Proud
- Alert Bay Repeats in San Francisco Mile
- Battalion Runner, Malagacy to Bypass Kentucky Derby
- Derby Museum to Become Home for Lukas Collection