Sky Jack utilized a front-running trip under Laffit Pincay Jr. to win Sunday's $150,000 Mervyn Leroy Handicap (gr. II) by 5 1/2 lengths over Bosque Redondo at Hollywood Park. The 6-year-old gelded son of Jaklin Klugman completed the 1 1/16 miles in 1:41.36 on a fast track.
Van Rouge led all the way en route to winning Sunday's $100,000 Ascot Handicap (gr. IIIT) by 4 1/2 lengths over Doc Holiday at Bay Meadows. On the firm turf, Van Rouge completed the 1 1/16 miles in 1:41.78 under Jason Lumpkins.
Xtra Heat earned her third win in four starts as a 4-year-old and her 20th in 26 career starts when she went wire-to-wire in Sunday's $150,000 Genuine Risk Handicap (gr. II) at Belmont Park.
Khalid Abdullah's homebred filly Zenda led early, was headed midway through the mile race, then regrouped to win the Gainsborough Poule d'Essai des Pouliches--French One Thousand Guineas (Fr-I) by a length over Firth of Lorne (by Danehill) on Sunday at Longchamp. Sophisticat, a daughter of Storm Cat out of Serena's Song closed well to finish third.
The top three finishers from last months Prix de Fountainebleau (Fr-III) again filled the top three spots in Sunday's Gainsborough Poule d'Essai des Poulains--French Two Thousand Guineas (Fr-I), with Landseer winning the French classic by a length over Medecis. Bowman came home third.
Proud Citizen, runner-up to War Emblem in the 128th Kentucky Derby, breezed a half-mile in :47 4/5 at Churchill Downs Sunday in preparation for the May 18 Preakness Stakes.
Champion sprinter Mozart died Sunday of non-responsive acute colitis. The 4-year-old son of Danehill was retired to Coolmore Stud in Ireland where he was standing his first season as a stallion.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Irish War Cry Morning-Line Pick in Wide-Open Haskell
- Stellar Wind, Vale Dori Face Off Again in Hirsch
- Fayeq Impresses in Saratoga Allowance Victory
- Into the Gray Brings Graydar First Winner
- No Sure Favorite in Woodbine's Royal North Stakes
- Successful Sire City Zip Dead at 19
- Ascend, Bigger Picture to Clash in Bowling Green
- Jockey Flores Plans to Retire From Riding
- Look Back: Bernardini's Dandy Score at Saratoga
- Always Dreaming, Cloud Computing Head Jim Dandy