Sky Jack utilized a front-running trip under Laffit Pincay Jr. to win Sunday's $150,000 Mervyn Leroy Handicap (gr. II) by 5 1/2 lengths over Bosque Redondo at Hollywood Park. The 6-year-old gelded son of Jaklin Klugman completed the 1 1/16 miles in 1:41.36 on a fast track.
Van Rouge led all the way en route to winning Sunday's $100,000 Ascot Handicap (gr. IIIT) by 4 1/2 lengths over Doc Holiday at Bay Meadows. On the firm turf, Van Rouge completed the 1 1/16 miles in 1:41.78 under Jason Lumpkins.
Xtra Heat earned her third win in four starts as a 4-year-old and her 20th in 26 career starts when she went wire-to-wire in Sunday's $150,000 Genuine Risk Handicap (gr. II) at Belmont Park.
Khalid Abdullah's homebred filly Zenda led early, was headed midway through the mile race, then regrouped to win the Gainsborough Poule d'Essai des Pouliches--French One Thousand Guineas (Fr-I) by a length over Firth of Lorne (by Danehill) on Sunday at Longchamp. Sophisticat, a daughter of Storm Cat out of Serena's Song closed well to finish third.
The top three finishers from last months Prix de Fountainebleau (Fr-III) again filled the top three spots in Sunday's Gainsborough Poule d'Essai des Poulains--French Two Thousand Guineas (Fr-I), with Landseer winning the French classic by a length over Medecis. Bowman came home third.
Proud Citizen, runner-up to War Emblem in the 128th Kentucky Derby, breezed a half-mile in :47 4/5 at Churchill Downs Sunday in preparation for the May 18 Preakness Stakes.
Champion sprinter Mozart died Sunday of non-responsive acute colitis. The 4-year-old son of Danehill was retired to Coolmore Stud in Ireland where he was standing his first season as a stallion.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Cupid Returns From Layoff to Win Gold Cup
- Lady Eli Digs in to Win Gamely
- Always Dreaming Officially Ruled Out of Belmont Stakes
- Rubilinda Impresses as Frankel’s First US Winner
- Starship Jubilee Much the Best in Nassau Stakes
- Irish War Cry Returns to Worktab; Belmont Run Possible
- Tapwrit Works Towards Belmont; True Timber Confirmed
- Churchill Completes Rare Guineas Double
- Well-Placed Illuminant Shines in Monrovia
- Gormley Works for Possible Belmont Start