Churchill Downs has changed the conditions of the Kentucky Oaks (gr. I) to give preference to 3-year-old fillies with the highest lifetime earnings in graded stakes. Previously, when the race was oversubscribed, preference was given to fillies with the highest career earnings regardless of whether races were graded.
Spring meet winners from Sam Houston, Maryland racing shifts to Pimlico, Eddie Perez' After the Races holds benefit for Roy Houghton.
Ten horses were nominated to the 2002 Visa Triple Crown by the late deadline, which closed Saturday, March 30 at midnight. The 10 additions, each at a cost of $6,000, increased the number of nominations to a total of 415.
Johannesburg will not be lacking for company in Saturday's Fosters-International Trial Stakes on the all-weather track at Lingfield, England. Seventeen 3-year-olds, including seven trained by Aidan O'Brien, have been entered for the one-mile race,.
Headed by Repent and Changeintheweather, at least nine 3-year-olds are expected to be entered for Saturday's grade II, $500,000 Illinois Derby at Sportsman's Park.
The horse racing and casino operations of Dover Downs Entertainment has been formally spun off and is now trading on its own as Dover Downs Gaming & Entertainment.
- By Scott Davis
A week-old agreement between Gulfstream Park and neighboring Standardbred track Pompano Park to exchange simulcast signals may be imperiled by the opinion of the Florida Division of Pari-Mutuel Wagering that such an agreement violates state law.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Tapit, War Front Dominate Keeneland Sale
- Racing's Stars Set for Santa Anita Saturday
- Pinhooking Rookie Scores Big at Keeneland
- Texas Chrome Pointing to Dirt Mile
- Eddie D. Stakes Split Into Divisions
- California Chrome Arrives at Santa Anita
- Songbird Untouchable in Cotillion
- NBC Will Air Pegasus World Cup
- Team Block relocating Fort Prado to Indiana
- Connect Bounces Back in Pennsylvania Derby