It used to be the industry's highest grossing juvenile auction. But the Barretts March select sale in Southern California has fallen on hard times in recent years. It has experienced growing difficulty attracting horses from major pinhookers on the East Coast. And it is no longer the favorite of the Japanese, who turn out in higher numbers for Fasig-Tipton Florida's Calder auction.
On Sunday, Snow Ridge continued his impressive run through the sprint stakes schedule at Santa Anita, leading wire-to-wire in winning the $150,000 San Carlos Handicap (gr. I). Earlier at the meet, Snow Ridge won the El Conejo (gr. III) and Palos Verdes (gr. II) handicaps.
With his rider letting out a big yell just before the wire, a Bates Motel colt recorded the fastest work at an eighth of a mile Sunday during the final under tack show for the Barretts March select sale of 2-year-olds in training. He covered distance in 10 seconds flat at Southern California's Fairplex Park, eclipsing the fastest clocking of :10.1 during the first under tack show on Feb. 25.
Three-year-old fillies You and Habibti, who have taken turns defeating each other in their last two starts, are likely to renew their rivalry in the $300,000 Santa Anita Oaks (gr. I) on Saturday.
Parade Leader, unable to live up to his potential on grass, showed his main track route ability in the New Orleans Handicap.
The Wards and Oxleys won two graded stakes with daughters of Forest Wildcat when Forest Secrets took the Rampart Handicap and Snow Dance won the Suwanee River Handicap.
Seattle Slew successfully underwent surgery Saturday morning to fuse the joint between two vertebrae in his neck.
Lone Star Park and the Mexico City-based Corporación Interamericana de Entretenmiento S.A. de C.V. (CIE) recently reached an agreement to extend their strategic partnership through 2003.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Lands Post Nine For Dubai World Cup
- Mind Your Biscuits Aims to Give Summers First Win
- Hope Floats for Hoppertunity in Dubai World Cup
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - March 21, 2017
- Ashleyluvssugar, Texas Ryano Reunite in San Luis Rey
- Look Back: Summer Squall Answers Questions in Jim Beam
- Conquest Mo Money Carries Local Hopes in Sunland Derby
- Highland Reel Among World Cup Day Turf Runners
- Classic Empire Back to Work in Ocala
- Gun Runner Brings Consistent Class to World Cup Stage