"You're killing me!" Bob Baffert called out to fellow trainer Bobby Frankel, who was posing for pictures in the winner's circle following Juddmonte Farms homebred Mizzen Mast's romping victory in the Feb. 2 Strub Stakes (gr. II). "I may have to go back to Los Alamitos."
Red Baron's Barn's Janet tracked pacesetter Impeachable through the early going, then rallied to a 1 3/4-length win in the $100,000 Brown Bess Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Golden Gate Fields. Under David Flores, Janet completed the 1 1/16 miles in 1:44.14 on good turf.
Came Home drew off through the Santa Anita stretch to win Saturday's $150,000 San Vicente Stakes (gr. II) by four lengths over maiden Jack's Silver. Pacesetter Werblin was nipped at the wire for second-place money, but finished three lengths clear of Popular.
A determined Showmeitall narrowly held off Monthir to win Saturday's $150,000 Hutcheson Stakes (gr. II) in a head-bobbing finish at Gulfstream Park.
City Fair ran another strong race Saturday, winning the $82,775 Correction Handicap at Aqueduct by two lengths. City Fair, a 4-year-old trained by D. Wayne Lukas, has finished third or better in 11 of her last 12 starts while winning five.
Kentucky Derby winning trainer Nick Zito is enthusiastic about 3-year-old High Star's future, but Zito says his plan is to go slow with the colt.
A new network to telecast horse races was unveiled Friday by Magna Entertainment Corp., Roberts Communications Network, Inc., and Greenwood Racing, Inc. The service effectively replaces the former satellite served called The Racing Network, which ceased operations last year after failing to sign up enough customers.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Champion Songbird Confirmed for Ogden Phipps
- Classic Empire to Begin Belmont Training
- Epicharis Begins Journey to Belmont Park
- Catch A Glimpse Has Homecoming in Nassau
- Leslie's Lady in Foal to American Pharoah
- Midnight Storm Seeks Grade 1 Dirt Win in Gold Cup
- Classic Empire to Coolmore on Retirement
- CHRB Approves Medication Conditions for Breeders' Cup
- Lady Eli Brings Her Class to Gamely
- Humane Society, PETA Support USADA Bill