Champion sprinter Kona Gold scored his second consecutive Bing Crosby Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II) Sunday at Del Mar, defeating Caller One by three-quarter lengths in the $196,000 race. The win extends Kona Gold's current winning streak to seven races.
Saturday at Saratoga
On a rain softened turf course at Arlington Park Sunday, 18-1 Fan Club's Mister pulled away from fellow longshot Monsieur Cat to earn a 3 1/2-length win in the $250,000 American Derby (gr. IIT).
Jayeff B Stables' Navesink rebounded from his lone career defeat to win Sunday's $249,000 Kent Breeders' Cup Stakes (gr. IIIT) at Delaware Park. Earlier on the card, John's Call began his 10-year-old campaign the same way he started his 2000 season, with a victory in the $69,100 Cape Henlopen Overnight Handicap.
Gandria, champion 3-year-old filly in Canada in 1999, has been retired according to owner Jurgen Schemmer.
Anstu Stables' homebred Irving's Baby set moderate fractions, then drew away in the stretch to upset the field in Sunday's $600,300 Delaware Handicap (gr. III) at Delaware Park.
Health officials in Florida have confirmed the first case of West Nile virus in a horse in the state, the Tallahassee Democrat newspaper reported on July 21. It also is the first case of the disease that has been reported in a horse in this country this year.
- By Steve Haskin
New York jockey Norberto Arroyo Jr. was jailed Friday night, along with his brother and father, for assaulting a livery driver who honked his horn at them on a Bronx street, the New York Post reported Sunday.
Saratoga's 21st annual open house, featuring the Newman E. Wait Trials, will be held Sunday, July 22, with all proceeds going to benefit local non-profit organizations.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Breezes at Santa Anita
- Street Surrender, Roman Secure First Stakes Win
- Irap Gets Best of Girvin in Ohio Derby
- Lady Eli, Cloud Computing Among Workers for Brown
- Crawdaddy Two-For-Two After NYSS Score
- California Sire Benchmark Dead at 26
- 'Hermaphrodite' Reported Before Race at Santa Anita
- Collected Dominant Again in Precisionist Stakes
- Satono Crown Surges to Victory in Takarazuka Kinen
- Battle of Midway Cruises to Affirmed Victory