If there were any doubts about who's queen of the hill out West these days, Lazy Slusan put 'em on ice on June 3, running away with the $254,300 Milady Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. I) at 1 1/16 miles.
If Christophe Soumillon, the rising star of the French jockey colony, had an ambition to win a classic as a teenager, he left it late. Eight hours before he turned 20, Soumillon and Anabaa Blue made off with Chantilly's 12-furlong French Derby (Prix du Jockey-Club, Fr-I).
Belmont Stakes hopeful Dollar Bill worked five furlongs at Churchill Downs Sunday in company with stablemate Kazoo. Over the fast surface, the trouble-prone son of Peaks and Valleys covered the distance in :59 3/5 under exercise rider Joanne McNamara.
Belmont Stakes action picked up Sunday morning with solid works by Kentucky Derby winner Monarchos, Derby runner-up Invisible Ink, and Arkansas Derby and Spiral winner Balto Star, all of whom worked five furlongs over a muddy track. In France, Grandera boosted the form of Dr Greenfield with a troubled third-place finish in the French Derby.
Virginia stallion Genuine Reward, the first live foal produced from Kentucky Derby (gr. I) winner Genuine Risk, was represented by his first winner when his son Top Reward won a 1 1/16-mile claiming race June 2 at Pimlico.
A half-brother to Kentucky Derby winner Monarchos was misidentified and tattooed incorrectly, according to a report in the Louisville Courier-Journal.
Researchers at the University of Kentucky looking into the cause of Mare Reproductive Loss Syndrome are in the process of completing a comprehensive survey involving more than 150 farms.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever
- Nyquist Improving; Exaggerator Jogs Two Miles
- Derby Runner-Up Commanding Curve Retired
- Making the Grade: Exaggerator's Belmont Shot
- Nyquist Spikes Fever; Did Not Ship to Belmont
- Nine Honored at Walk of Champions Gala
- Court Order Has Preciado Racing Again at Parx
- Woodward, Hancock to Racing Hall of Fame
- NYRA Privatization Bill Filed
- Uncle Mo Filly Brings $1 Million at F-T Sale