West Virginia stallion Northern Wolf died May 19 of a heart attack while covering a mare at John McKee and Cindy O'Bannon's Beau Ridge Farm near Bunker Hill.
Millionaires Lazy Slusan and Gourmet Girl, two of the country's leading distaffers, renew their rivalry Saturday in the $250,000 Vanity Handicap (gr. I) at Hollywood Park.
Bits and pieces from around the industry:
Despite the defection of Kentucky Oaks winner Flute, Saturday's $250,000 Mother Goose Stakes at Belmont Park remains strong with 10 fillies vying to capture the middle leg of the "Triple Tiara."
Mockingbird Farm's Exciting Story will return to action Saturday at Woodbine in a one-mile allowance event over the E. P. Taylor Turf Course. The start will be his first since winning the May 28 Metropolitan Handicap (gr. I) at Belmont Park.
From a preview show to the sale itself, TVG will offer live coverage and analysis of the 2001 Keeneland July Selected Yearling Sale. Caton Bredar will report on all events from the Keeneland Sales Pavilion with hosts Todd Schrupp and Frank Lyons in the Los Angeles studio. The live sale broadcast will run July 16-17 from 7-10 p.m. EDT.
The public got its first glance Wednesday, June 27, at what in-fighting has cost the Maryland racing industry. The Maryland Jockey Club slashed 22 stakes races worth $1.7 million from its racing program the rest of the year at Pimlico and Laurel Park. The Maryland Racing Commission approved the drastic cuts at its monthly meeting in Timonium north of Baltimore.
Millionaires Marlin and Urgent Request were represented by their first winners June 27.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Classic Empire a Pro in Four-Furlong Move
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out
- Churchill Considers Historic Gaming Machines
- Unbridled Unleashed
- Record Tiznow Colt Lives Up to Expectations
- Animal Kingdom's First N. Hemisphere Starter Wins Big
- Tiznow Colt Brings $2.45 Million at OBS
- Strong Gains at OBS Session Led by Record Tiznow Colt
- Derby, Oaks Notes from Churchill Downs, April 27
- Sharp: Girvin Still on Track for Kentucky Derby