West Virginia stallion Northern Wolf died May 19 of a heart attack while covering a mare at John McKee and Cindy O'Bannon's Beau Ridge Farm near Bunker Hill.
Millionaires Lazy Slusan and Gourmet Girl, two of the country's leading distaffers, renew their rivalry Saturday in the $250,000 Vanity Handicap (gr. I) at Hollywood Park.
Bits and pieces from around the industry:
Despite the defection of Kentucky Oaks winner Flute, Saturday's $250,000 Mother Goose Stakes at Belmont Park remains strong with 10 fillies vying to capture the middle leg of the "Triple Tiara."
Mockingbird Farm's Exciting Story will return to action Saturday at Woodbine in a one-mile allowance event over the E. P. Taylor Turf Course. The start will be his first since winning the May 28 Metropolitan Handicap (gr. I) at Belmont Park.
From a preview show to the sale itself, TVG will offer live coverage and analysis of the 2001 Keeneland July Selected Yearling Sale. Caton Bredar will report on all events from the Keeneland Sales Pavilion with hosts Todd Schrupp and Frank Lyons in the Los Angeles studio. The live sale broadcast will run July 16-17 from 7-10 p.m. EDT.
The public got its first glance Wednesday, June 27, at what in-fighting has cost the Maryland racing industry. The Maryland Jockey Club slashed 22 stakes races worth $1.7 million from its racing program the rest of the year at Pimlico and Laurel Park. The Maryland Racing Commission approved the drastic cuts at its monthly meeting in Timonium north of Baltimore.
Millionaires Marlin and Urgent Request were represented by their first winners June 27.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Kentucky Derby Winner Monarchos Dies
- WinStar Farm Sets 2017 Stud Fees
- California Chrome Powerful Late in BC Drill
- China Horse Club Buys into California Chrome
- Lightstream Rallies to Win Raven Run
- Admirals War Chest Repeats MD Million Classic
- Winx Easily Wins Second Straight Cox Plate
- Royal Posse Sails Clear in Empire Classic
- Hoppertunity, Melatonin Breeze for Classic
- Nobiz Like Shobiz Settling in at Old Friends