Sunday at Calder Race Course
Under veteran jockey Eddie Delahoussaye, Go Go rallied in the stretch to win Saturday's $106,000 Desert Stormer Handicap (gr. III) by a half-length on a fast track at Hollywood Park. Delahoussaye has won three of the five renewals of the Desert Stormer.
In the 1950s, vocalist Dinah Washington crafted a hit with the song "What a Difference a Day Makes." For trainer Bud Delp and the Robert E. Meyerhoff homebred Include, the $500,000 Massachusetts Handicap (gr. II) at Suffolk Downs on June 2 could be titled "What a difference 50 minutes makes."
The Sheepshead Bay Handicap, switched from turf to a muddy main track, was won by Critical Eye, who romped by 7 1/2 lengths.
Belmont Park's Triple Tiara series for 3-year-old fillies begins Friday with the 71st running of the one-mile, $200,000 Acorn Stakes (gr. I), which will likely feature Carl F. Pollard's champion Caressing. Caressing completed her major preparation for the Acorn with a five-furlong work over a fast track at Churchill Downs on Sunday.
Team Valor's Dr Greenfield, winner of the listed Dee Stakes at Chester in his last start, worked a half-mile out of the gate Saturday morning at trainer Gerard Butler's yard near Lambourn, England. Butler, a former assistant to D. Wayne Lukas and Rodney Rash, said the son of Dr Devious couldn't be doing any better.
Petrushka and Mutafaweq, each a three-time group I winner, will face seven other horses in Friday's Vodafone Coronation Cup (Eng-I) at Epsom Downs.
Citing a sluggish economy and the energy crisis in California, management at Hollywood Park has announced a 3.8% purse reduction for the entire spring-summer meet that is underway.
In an effort to determine the effects of Mare Reproductive Loss Syndrome on the horse industry, Kentucky Gov. Paul Patton has announced he will commission an economic impact study.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Sharp: Girvin Still on Track for Kentucky Derby
- Saez to Ride J Boys Echo in Kentucky Derby
- Look Back: Justakiss, Ole Liz Win Divisions of Bewitch
- Syndergaard to Make 2017 Debut in William Walker
- Stewart to Train, Manage Latest Churchill Racing Club
- Derby, Oaks Notes From Churchill Downs, April 26
- High-Profile Owners Team Up to Buy Expensive Colt
- Multiple Grade 1 Winner I'm a Chatterbox Retired
- Private Zone Retired to Old Friends
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - April 25, 2017