Echo Eddie held off Full Moon Madness by a length Sunday in the $100,000 Valiant Pete Handicap for California-bred horses at Santa Anita. Echo Eddie, ridden by Iggy Puglisi and carrying 117 pounds, ran six furlongs in a stakes-record 1:08.27, and paid $2.40 and $2.20.
Fappie's Notebook rallied to beat General Grant by half-length Sunday in the $75,000 Seminole Handicap at Hialeah Park. Ridden by Abdiel Toribio, Fappie's Notebook ran 1 1/8 miles in 1:48.66 on the fast track and paid $6, $4.80, and $3.60.
Saturday at Tampa Bay
Betting favorites were upset in all three preps for sophomore classic races held on very heavy ground at Longchamp Sunday.
The Big Three Pick Three wager, which linked Saturday's three major Kentucky Derby prep races, returned $121 for every $2 wagered on the correct combination.
Cutting back to a one-turn sprint after running sixth in Point Given's San Felipe (gr. II), Greystone Stable and Vincenzo LoVerso's Skip to the Stone pressed the pace before drawing away to win Saturday's $150,000 Bay Shore Stakes (gr. III) for 3-year-olds at Aqueduct.
Veteran horseman Ben L. (Ted) Bear died April 10 at age 73. Bear, who served as trackside minister at Del Mar, campaigned graded stakes winner Pacificbounty in partnership.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever
- Beholder Fires Bullet, Ready to Rumble
- Nyquist Spikes Fever; Did Not Ship to Belmont
- Derby Runner-Up Commanding Curve Retired
- Nyquist Improving; Exaggerator Jogs Two Miles
- NY Regulators Tighten Underage Gambling Rules
- Centeno Recovering in Florida After Spill
- Colt is First Winner for Maclean's Music
- Making the Grade: Exaggerator's Belmont Shot
- Woodward, Hancock to Racing Hall of Fame