Bagshot, the 1999 California Cup Classic winner, will break from the eight-hole under Chris McCarron at 114 pounds, as a field of 12 older runners have passed the entry box for Sunday's $300,000 San Antonio Handicap at 1 1/8 miles on the main track.
A well-matched field of eight sprinters, including the first three finishers in last month's Mr. Prospector Handicap, will do battle at Gulfstream Park Sunday in the Deputy Minister Handicap. The 12th running of the Deputy Minister, which goes as the 10th event on an 11-race Family Day card, carries a purse of $100,000 guaranteed, plus $50,000 in FTBOA funds for registered Florida-bre
It will be the Miami Cruisers taking on the Los Angeles Blaze in a pair of cross-country racing events, Gulfstream Park president Scott Savin announced Friday. Five days after what Savin called a "positive meeting" among horsemen at Gulfstream Park, Magna Entertainment Corp.'s idea for a rivalry between its flagship tracks, Gulfstream and Santa Anita, was endorsed by the Thoroughbred Owners of California, setting the stage for a series of six races on each coast.
Gross purses in the United States topped $1 billion for the first time last year, according to statistics contained in the eleventh edition of "The Jockey Club Fact Book." In spite of slowing growth in handle, U.S. purses reached $1,030,839,223 in 2000, an increase of 7.0 per cent against 1999. Nearly two-thirds of the increase, however, came from Illinois, West Virginia and New Mexico, where the return of live racing to Arlington Park and legislative changes in all three states boosted combined purses by $42.7 million over 1999 levels.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Twisted Tom Muscles His Way to New York Derby Score
- Always Dreaming, Cloud Computing, Tapwrit Work at Spa
- As Arrogate's Stature Builds, So Do Expectations
- Maryland Horse of the Year Ben's Cat Dies
- Dream It Is The Real Deal in Schuylerville
- John Henry, Phil Marino, and Early Cajun Days
- Classic Empire to Resume Galloping
- Kettle Corn Gets First Winner at Belterra
- Litfin: No Going Against Arrogate in San Diego
- Sanford Adds Another Chapter to Rich History Saturday