A Gulch colt established what was believed to be a record for the Fasig-Tipton Florida juvenile sale when he zipped a quarter-mile in :21 1/5 seconds Sunday at Calder Race Course. The workout was the highlight of the second and final under tack show for the 2001 edition of the Florida auction, which will be conducted Tuesday.
Friday at Aqueduct
Entrants for Saturday's Gulfstream Park Handicap (gr. I) won't have to worry about the now retired Behrens, the winner of the last two renewals of the 1 1/4-mile event, but they will likely have to face his former stablemate, Pleasant Breeze, who was assigned 115 pounds for the race.
Heiligbrodt Racing Stable's Latour earned a hard-fought victory over 7-10 favorite Gold Mover after dueling with that rival since leaving the backstretch, notching her third consecutive victory in Sunday's $103,000 Davona Dale Stakes (gr. II) at Gulfstream Park. Under jockey John Velazquez, the 3-year-old filly stopped the timer in 1:45.51 after 1 1/16 miles on a fast track.
Auctioneer Tom Caldwell, who joined the Keeneland sale staff in the late 1950s, died Feb. 23 of pancreatic cancer at his home near Eagle Point, Ore.
Almost immediately after A P Valentine's third-place finish in an allowance race Feb. 17, trainer Nick Zito began having second thoughts about running him in the Florida Derby. Now that he's officially ruled it out, it's time for him to begin making alternate plans.
The complicated details of a bicoastal series designed to generate more fans and boost field size at two Magna-owned tracks were announced Friday at a press conference. Now, track officials need to schedule a series of classes so people understand it.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Casse Mulls Derby Path for Classic Empire
- Lukas Drops by to See Old Friend Charismatic
- Sherman Accepts Big Sport of Turfdom Award
- What's Going On Here: Next Up
- HK Jockey Club, Longines Extend Partnership
- BloodHorse, Weatherbys Launch Stallions App
- Keeneland Catalogs 1,892 for January Sale
- Jockey Club Opposes Multiple Violator Changes
- Lemon Drop Kid an Emerging Broodmare Sire
- Symposium Documents Racing's Racino Problem