A Gulch colt established what was believed to be a record for the Fasig-Tipton Florida juvenile sale when he zipped a quarter-mile in :21 1/5 seconds Sunday at Calder Race Course. The workout was the highlight of the second and final under tack show for the 2001 edition of the Florida auction, which will be conducted Tuesday.
Friday at Aqueduct
Entrants for Saturday's Gulfstream Park Handicap (gr. I) won't have to worry about the now retired Behrens, the winner of the last two renewals of the 1 1/4-mile event, but they will likely have to face his former stablemate, Pleasant Breeze, who was assigned 115 pounds for the race.
Heiligbrodt Racing Stable's Latour earned a hard-fought victory over 7-10 favorite Gold Mover after dueling with that rival since leaving the backstretch, notching her third consecutive victory in Sunday's $103,000 Davona Dale Stakes (gr. II) at Gulfstream Park. Under jockey John Velazquez, the 3-year-old filly stopped the timer in 1:45.51 after 1 1/16 miles on a fast track.
Auctioneer Tom Caldwell, who joined the Keeneland sale staff in the late 1950s, died Feb. 23 of pancreatic cancer at his home near Eagle Point, Ore.
Almost immediately after A P Valentine's third-place finish in an allowance race Feb. 17, trainer Nick Zito began having second thoughts about running him in the Florida Derby. Now that he's officially ruled it out, it's time for him to begin making alternate plans.
The complicated details of a bicoastal series designed to generate more fans and boost field size at two Magna-owned tracks were announced Friday at a press conference. Now, track officials need to schedule a series of classes so people understand it.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Midnight Storm Seeks Grade 1 Dirt Win in Gold Cup
- Lady Eli Brings Her Class to Gamely
- CHRB Discusses Creating Single California Circuit
- Asmussen Earns $50,000 Preakness Weekend Bonus
- The Greatest Performance No One Has Seen
- Leslie's Lady in Foal to American Pharoah
- Classic Empire to Coolmore on Retirement
- Enola Gray, Illuminant Look Strong in Monrovia Field
- Freshman Flashpoint Gets His First Winner
- Maker a Triple Threat in AP Classic