With a spending plan in place for 2001, the National Thoroughbred Racing Association and the Breeders' Cup now are looking closely at the efficiencies of an Oregon wagering hub operated by NTRA Services. The Friday meeting in South Florida marked the first for a new 15-member board. Magna Entertainment's Jim McAlpine sat in for Magna chairman Frank Stronach, who missed what would have been his first board meeting.
Bienamado, who had been expected to run in Saturday's San Luis Obispo Handicap, was not entered in the grade II turf race and instead will be pointed to the $1 million Santa Anita Handicap on March 3 for his first start on the main track, part-owner John Toffan said Thursday morning.
Youbet.com, an online wagering service, hopes to grow its wagering business through a deal with Daily Racing Form.
The horse racing industry is concerned a resolution that could be introduced in a Kentucky General Assembly committee could lay the foundation for tribal gaming in the commonwealth.
A schedule of stakes races and televised races for the weekend of Feb. 17-19.
Kentucky Derby fans across the nation made the mutuel field a strong favorite among 24 wagering interests on the opening day of Pool 1 of Churchill Downs' Kentucky Derby Future Wager. The mutuel field, which includes all 3-year-olds other than the 23 individual Kentucky Derby contenders on the list of wagering interests, was a 3-2 favorite after the first day of wagering on the four-day pool ended at 11:00 p.m. (EST) Thursday evening. Derby fans in 26 states wagered a total of $43,318 on the opening day of Pool 1 - including $14,186 wagered on the mutuel field.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate, California Chrome Meet Again in Pegasus
- Trainer Chad Brown Finally Lands His Knockout
- NYSGC Suspends Jockey Agent Gonzalez for 10 Years
- Semper Fortis Takes Ralis' Spot in Pegasus World Cup
- Gun Runner Likely Out of Pegasus World Cup
- American Lion Gelding, Overdriven Filly Top OBS Works
- Keen Ice to Calumet Upon Retirement
- California Chrome Again Horse of the Year
- Beautyinthepulpit to New York's Buckridge Farm
- New York Regulators Act on Drug Testing, Records Rules