NBC Sports has won the Eclipse Award for National Television-Live Racing Programming for its production of the 2001 Breeders' Cup World Thoroughbred Championships.
Five Southern California trainers have been fined $1,500 each by the California Horse Racing Board after an herbal product they used on horses under their care was found to contain two banned substances. A hearing will be held in January.
- By Tom LaMarra
The official report on the Dec. 4 Racehorse Medication Summit organized by the American Association of Equine Practitioners could be released Jan. 4. The document is expected to provide information on consensus reached by the more than 30 industry officials who participated.
- By Tom Precious
Other tracks in New York have joined the New York Racing Association in condemning aspects of the state's new law that authorizes video lottery terminals. They claim state government is forcing them to pick up too many of the costs of the program.
Barretts' winter mixed sale will be slightly larger in 2002 than it was in 2001. The catalogue has 541 lots, an increase from the 532 that were listed earlier this year. The sale will be conducted Jan. 22 and 23 in Pomona, Calif.
- By Nick Hahn
The Virginia Racing Commission may take a more active role in regulating horse racing if the recommendations of a blue-ribbon committee are implemented. The panel suggests a need for more off-track wagering facilities, elimination of a law that mandates 150 live racing dates by 2006, and addition of account wagering.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- BC Juvenile Winner Texas Red Retired
- Trainer Brown Gearing Up for Gulfstream
- Ferndale Racetrack OK After Earthquake
- Three Rules Being Considered for Swale Stakes
- A Look Back at A.P. Indy's Hollywood Futurity
- Holy Bull Stakes Goal for Gunnevera
- Promising Mastery Heads Los Al Futurity Field
- Woodbine Reports Increased Handle
- Jockeys' Guild Set for Annual Assembly
- Top Global Runners Vie in Hong Kong Races