Saturday at Fair Grounds
Hallowed Dreams returned from a brief freshening following her second career defeat in August, winning an Delta Downs allowance race by a length Saturday night.
Sure, he looked strong, and there seemed to be some promise in his bloodlines. Then again, the chestnut colt had hind ankles questionable enough that most buyers simply turned their backs. For trainer David LaCroix, the $10,500 price tag represented a bargain, a gamble, a chance. There really was no further reason for him to think, or to dream, any bigger. That horse, Fonz's, returned from a nearly six-month layoff to win the $100,000 Hollywood Prevue Stakes (gr. III) Saturday at Hollywood Park.
Despite unseasonably warm temperatures on a resplendent Indian summer afternoon, John Oxley's Snow Dance put her sophomore filly rivals on ice with a cool-hand victory in the $172,500 Mrs. Revere Stakes (gr. IIT) at Churchill Downs.
There are many different routes a horse can take through his or her racing career, but it's safe to say that Mr. Pleasentfar has broken new ground with his Brazil-to-Dubai-to-Calder-to-Aqueduct route.
A million-dollar international race doesn't usually serve as practice for a $300,000 stakes in Maryland. But following a script that was part wisdom and part luck, the Breeders' Cup Sprint (gr. I) turned out to be a dress rehearsal for the Frank J. De Francis Memorial Dash (gr. I) Nov. 17 at Laurel Park.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Stellar Wind Upsets Beholder
- Maiden No More, Laoban Stuns Jim Dandy Rivals
- A. P. Indian Outduels Holy Boss in Vanderbilt
- Flintshire Scores in Eventful Bowling Green
- Seeking the Gold Dies at 31
- Lexie Lou Goes Wire to Wire in Victoriana
- Monmouth, Suffolk Battle Over Entries
- Pennsylvania Sanctions Trainer Preciado
- Mind Your Biscuits Takes Amsterdam
- Minding Overcomes Trouble for Nassau Win