The motif was unmistakably red at Churchill Downs for the 28th running of the Cardinal Handicap (gr. IIIT) Nov. 10. Besides the bird of that color, University of Louisville basketball coach Rick Pitino, the state's most famous Cardinal, was on hand signing autographs for the faithful. The color scheme didn't last for the race's finish, however, when the familiar hue of Claiborne Farm's orange flashed across the wire on the back of its homebred filly Watch.
The horse affectionately referred to as "The Bus" due to his slow morning works will not start in the Clark Handicap (gr. II) at Churchill Downs later this month. Instead, Guided Tour -- the winner of four grade II races this year -- will begin his trip to Saudi Arabia Monday where he will be prepared for a start in the Jan. 11 King's Cup.
Kutub and Hatha Anna gave Godolphin two stakes wins Saturday, with the former winning the New Zealand Bloodstock Singapore Gold Cup in Singapore and the latter annexing the Queen Elizabeth II Stakes (Aus-II) at Flemington in Australia.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Returning Early From Break
- 95% Clearance Rate on Day 2 at Tattersalls
- 'Power' Pair Square Off in July Cup
- Arizona's Global Symposium Registration Open
- Boston and Suffolk Downs Begin Planning
- 'Princess' Looks Tough in Delaware Handicap
- Paladin Bay Seeks to Tame Bison City Stakes
- Isabella Sings First Winner for Eskendereya
- Social Inclusion Breezes for Haskell
- Del Mar's Paddock Sale to be Held July 20
Most Popular Profiles
Trainer: W. Bret Calhoun
Owner: Robert G. Luttrell
Jockey: Robby Albarado
Trainer: Todd A. Pletcher
Owner: Dogwood Stable
Jockey: John R. Velazquez
Trainer: Art Sherman
Owner: Coburn, Steven and Martin, Perry
Jockey: Victor Espinoza
Trainer: Steven M. Asmussen
Owner: Stonestreet Stables, McCormick, Harold
Jockey: Calvin H. Borel
Trainer: George Papaprodromou
Owner: KM Racing Enterprise, Inc.
Jockey: Kent J. Desormeaux
Trainer: William I. Mott
Owner: Juddmonte Farms, Inc.
Jockey: Joel Rosario