Saturday at Churchill Downs
Brazilian-bred 4-year-old Cagney won Sunday's $150,000 Carleton F. Burke Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Santa Anita with French-bred horses filling the next four finishing positions in the 1 1/2-mile race.
Illusioned broke the Churchill Downs track record for 7 1/2 furlongs in earning his first career graded stakes win in Sunday's $114,300 Ack Ack Handicap (gr. III) on opening day of the fall meet at Churchill Downs.
A roar of approval went up from the gathering of media following the Breeders' Cup Classic when Tiznow's owner Michael Cooper announced that the son of Cee's Tizzy would race again next year. The announcement also brought a loud "whoop" from jockey Chris McCarron, who pumped his fist in the air.
Dogwood Stable's Smok'n Frolic, a 2-year-old daughter of first-crop sire Smoke Glacken, rallied from next-to-last to win the $111,500 Tempted Stakes (gr. III) Sunday on closing day of the Belmont Park meet.
Retama Park ended its 50-day Thoroughbred meet with an 11% increase in total handle. Increased interest in the racetrack's signal offset a 7.8% decline in on-track handle.
In an about-face, the Maryland Jockey Club will keep the Pimlico Race Course barn area open all winter. The MJC attributed the move to an "unanticipated increase in demand by trainers for stabling."
Despite a world of uncertainty and a location down the street from ground zero, the Breeders' Cup World Thoroughbred Championships pulled off one its most successful days.
On Sunday morning, Exogenous, the Unbridled filly who suffered a severe concussion in a freak mishap prior to the running of the Breeders' Cup Distaff (gr. I), was alert, standing in her stall, and eating hay, leaving the father and son training team of Scotty and Randy Schulhofer optimistic about her chances to recover. However, Randy Schulhofer cautioned that "the next 24 to 48 hours are the most crucial."
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Sharp: Girvin Still on Track for Kentucky Derby
- Saez to Ride J Boys Echo in Kentucky Derby
- Medaglia d'Oro Colt New OBS Sale Topper
- Stewart to Train, Manage Latest Churchill Racing Club
- Syndergaard to Make 2017 Debut in William Walker
- Derby, Oaks Notes From Churchill Downs, April 26
- Speedway Stable Strikes Late for Malibu Moon Filly
- High-Profile Owners Team Up to Buy Expensive Colt
- Stronach Group Supports Bill to Bring in USADA
- Multiple Grade 1 Winner I'm a Chatterbox Retired